Berry College Dove Field..

drhunter1

Boy was it crowded! I don't understand why that hunt isn't a quota hunt. It was dangerous. A duck flew over the field and people actually shot at it. Game warden was no where to be found. Folks shoot at doves right over your head. Shooting at low birds. It was a mad house. There were so many people shooting at the same bird there was no way to tell who killed it.

I won't be going back to that dove field on opening day ever again. It needs to be a quota hunt and why it's not already is beyond me.

Hornbill

That doesn't sound like fun. All of the public dove hunts close to Atlanta probably should be quota on opening day. Most of them already are.

I chose to drive to a non-quota field that was further out. I'm more than happy to put my name in a hat for a quota hunt, just didn't get chosen this time around.

drhunter1

It's just a matter of time until someone gets hurt. When I walked out on the field they had hay bails stacked 20 yards apart.!??!!? The bottom line is there were too many hunters on that field. It was a mess.

joboo

Drhunter1, yeah that was the first and last time I hunt Berry. It was a little scary and I really worried about the kids out there. I heard someone got hit in the face with pellets.

tlee22

I was there. Way too many people. I saw one guy shoot a bird that was only 4 feet off the ground so I move 2 haybell infront of me and my 5 year old for protection. I also saw everyone shooting at the duck. How can you not know a duck from a dove.
Another guy by me was shooting at tweety birds thinking they were doves. At 10am 2 guys start to shoot doves before it even started. DNR gave them tickets but did not make them leave. Will never go back.

tlee22

joboo it was nice to meet you there. how many birds did yeah get? you had a pack of people around you too. lol

drhunter1

I was there. Way too many people. I saw one guy shoot a bird that was only 4 feet off the ground so I move 2 haybell infront of me and my 5 year old for protection. I also saw everyone shooting at the duck. How can you not know a duck from a dove.
Another guy by me was shooting at tweety birds thinking they were doves. At 10am 2 guys start to shoot doves before it even started. DNR gave them tickets but did not make them leave. Will never go back.

I never saw the game warden. The regulations say don't go on the field until 10:00 am but from what I understand there were people out there well before that and the game warden told one guy when he asked him if he could go out before 10:00 he said " I ain't gonna tell ya you can but I'm not going to tell you you caint "

:huh: Apparently some regulations are enforced and some aren't.

across the river

I've seen people shoot at Ibis and Egrets at Darien that they apparently thought we ducks. There are morons everywhere. They just seem to congregate in public hunting areas nowadays, which is why I stay as far away from those places as possible.

PappyHoel

How many did you get? I got 3 in about an Hour all by myself on our clear cut power line, then it was time to go prep the bow stands :) Low birds weren't a problem:).