Drake-Happy-Snake!!!

mlandrum

"Happy" and "Drake" bayed up another Serpent by the pond and ole Preacher put the smack down on him:shoot::shoot:

Attachments

• IMG_2875 (1).jpg
    IMG_2875 (1).jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 884
  • IMG_2876 (960x1280) (2).jpg
    IMG_2876 (960x1280) (2).jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 885

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I don`t think that one will hurt him.

mlandrum

SEttle down fellows everything is Ok , Coulda-Woulda-& Shoula is all a part of life have you thought about a dog baying a snake might just keep you from being bit��������

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
What kind of snake is that, Preacher? :)

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
By putting the smack down on him he meant tying him up and releasing him somewhere else..:bounce:...I don't think I would let my dog grab a snake...thats a similar lesson to running after a deer in my book. You are gona get the full blast of the shock collar as long as it takes for you to never forget what happens when you chase a deer or go near a snake.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
My older Brittany has a healthy fear of snakes which to me is what I want. It took her one session of being exposed to an EDB at Bud Calderwood's house; her showing curiosity to the huge rattler and Bud hitting her at full blast with an electric collar. He used enough juice to dim the lights in the tri-county area. That was 5 years ago. At refresher courses when she figured out what was about to happen, she ran for the truck as best she could with a 25' lead attached to her neck. She was only shocked the first time and it took. Two years ago while hunting woodcock I believe she smelled a snake because she spun on her paws and ran past me barking. I didn't see the need to go poking around in the thicket to confirm my suspicions. The younger dog took two sessions to build up fear. I've heard of dogs not going near a garden hose after one of Bud's sessions. Gil

GLS

A man I know had a fearless Jack Russell that survived several copperhead bites. He'd get bitten and still be able to kill them. His owner nicknamed him "Zipper Head". His first encounter with a canebrake was his last encounter with anything. I don't recall if he killed the snake but that wasn't the problem.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
A man I know had a fearless Jack Russell that survived several copperhead bites. He'd get bitten and still be able to kill them. His owner nicknamed him "Zipper Head". His first encounter with a canebrake was his last encounter with anything. I don't recall if he killed the snake but that wasn't the problem.

A friend and fellow employee had a Jack Russel like that. He tangled with a big diamondback with terrible results. It died enroute to the vet.

GLS

Nic, every region in the country has hazards affecting gun dog safety. All risks can't be eliminated, but can be reduced. In the North along the Canadian borders it's wolves and Conibear land set traps. It pays to be prepared to be able and know how to quickly remove a dog caught in a suffocating Conibear. In some areas, such as parts of Oklahoma, Eurasian wild hogs are bird dog killers. (I've also had hog run-ins and charges while woodcocking. Both dogs wear Kevlar Hog Dog Bay vests as a result.) Warm temperatures here in the South and other parts of the country can lead to dog deaths in two different ways: overheating and reptile activity--snakes and gators. The same man who lost his Jack Russell to a canebrake lived between two brackish rivers and lost two Brittanys to gators. Floyd can't keep his dogs near his house and must kennel them a quarter mile away because of gators. In the South, where you hunt and when you hunt a dog can reduce risks. There's a popular public duck hunting impoundment that is full of big gators. Folks I know wouldn't dream of taking their Labs there in the early season. I'll wait until the weather turns colder before using my dogs in the field. Two weeks ago on a dove hunt, a huge canebrake was on a field edge while a hunter was looking for a bird. Gil

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yea, Gil, I had to fence the cabin yard down at probably the same impoundment you`re talking about, to keep the gators from coming into the yard after my dogs.

Before I pick up a dove or any bird, I take a good look around to make sure there`s not a rattlesnake close by. Same way before kneeling down to collect a mushroom. It just ain`t worth getting bit. Especially with the price of Crofab now.

mlandrum

Great thoughts Nic and Gill, don't worry ole Preacher didn't show you the whole training session, I'm not as dumb as some people might think??