New deck staining advice needed

rospaw

Triseven, Love that porch! :clap:

Are you staining the benches / crawl space area also?

A friend has a porch like yours near the square in Marietta but the porch not quite as deep. (close) The way his house sits the afternoon sun (and blowing rain) would keep him off the porch. He made some 1x4 or 6" louvers that were wider spaced apart. He did it in a weekend and his is not a contractor type. It solved his issues and looks really good. I will ask him for a before and after pic this week to show you.

triseven

We will be staining the benches and skirting the same color. While I'd love to go with the Sikkens as suggested by so many people here, I can't find it locally (Smyrna GA). Any suggestions on who might carry it in store? And, which product would you recommend by Sikkens?

Also, barring any success locating the Sikkens, does anyone else have any extended experience with Ready Seal? It seems to get good reviews and is supposedly pretty idiot proof. ***Ooops, didn't see the previous reply endorsing the Ready Seal. Thanks!

rospaw

We will be staining the benches and skirting the same color. While I'd love to go with the Sikkens as suggested by so many people here, I can't find it locally (Smyrna GA). Any suggestions on who might carry it in store? And, which product would you recommend by Sikkens?

Also, barring any success locating the Sikkens, does anyone else have any extended experience with Ready Seal? It seems to get good reviews and is supposedly pretty idiot proof. ***Ooops, didn't see the previous reply endorsing the Ready Seal. Thanks!

Looks like Home depot can get it and (i hate to say this) Walmart can have all Sikkens stains next day.

TIMBERTOWN - ATLANTA
1137 ATLANTA INDUSTRIAL DR.
MARIETTA, GA
678-977-9501

A
EAST COBB PAINT & SUPPLY
547A ROSWELL ST NE
MARIETTA, GA

PPG Paints
3095 CANTON ROAD
MARIETTA, GA 30066
770-427-7311

MORGANS ACE HDWE
109 EAST MAIN ST
WOODSTOCK, GA 30188
770-926-3281

PAINT UNLIMITED
6066 SANDY SPRINGS CIRCLE
SANDY SPRINGS, GA 30328
404-943-1642

PPG Paints
3095 CANTON ROAD
MARIETTA, GA 30066
770-427-7311

I needed to add my louver comment that he only put the louvers on the roof end / Gable. Everything else was open porch.

shakey gizzard

Another vote for sickens! The trick is reading the wood when you apply. Knots and tighter grain will absorb less stain than the rest of the board and it will sit on the surface. This needs to be removed with a rag or you will notice a difference in sheen in those spots! Take your time and don't rush it :cheers:! Its sold at select Ace hardwares

triseven

Well, all, we did it! Deck is done. Ended up using Ready Seal Mahogany and it turned out great. Even though the wood was over 5 months old, it only took one coat. Will probably do another next spring. Overall, very happy with the results! Thanks for everyone's help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 29

rjcruiser

Looks beautiful. Nice work and the color looks great!

Latest posts