Got the first one ever with a bow

cr00241

I got to the stand this morning and it was a little foggy and dead still. Right before the sun came up over the trees, I heard something walking up my direction in the thicket. Out comes a buck and I was trying to decide if he was going to step out into my lane. He finally came out and stood broadside but looking my direction. I knew he was right at the stump that was 30 yards away, so I went to pull back and he saw my movement. He didn't blow, just jumped off into the thicket on the other side. I thought, well, I blew that chance.

Then 30 seconds later I hear more walking and I could see the rack coming. This one actually came out last week to a rattle and I let him walk. I couldn't do it again this time. I waited till he started to walk to pull back and when he got right behind that stump, I grunted to get him to stop.

I let the arrow fly and he hit the ground hard on his front. I knew I must have hit him in the front shoulder and I heard him crash around in the thicket. I saw him run off and gave it an hour and half before I got down.

All the practice in the world didn't prepare me for that split second on a live animal and adrenal pumping. I found the arrow broke off over half way and had good blood on it. It was 10 yards maybe from the initial shot. I backed out till 6 hours later to give him time. I found him maybe 45 yards from the initial shot piled up. The arrow went completely through the other side and even though I hit him forward, I hit the right spot. Now I fully understand the obsession with the stick and string. That was a totally different feeling with a bow.

Attachments

• 10 pt.png
    10 pt.png
    592.1 KB · Views: 1,459

Hunter922

Congrats, It's a rush for sure with the stick and string. You should be hooked for sure now..

kingfish

Congrats !!! The beauty of bow hunting is that, at least to me, is that it never gets easy. If it ever does, you lose the compound and go traditional. Talk about learning how to walk again. Still shoot a compound !!!

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Congratulations

Pilgrim

Awesome!! Super nice buck!! :yeah:

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Congrats. Heck of a first bow buck

Duff

Great buck!!!! Congrats!!!

Highintheshoulder

Congrats !!!!

Ihunt

Congrats. I'm all for passing young deer but get a few under your belt before you get too picky. You will need a little experience when a really big one walks up.

Last edited:

cr00241

Congrats. I'm all for passing young deer but get a few under your belt before you get too picky. You will need a little experience when a really big one walks up.

I know what you mean. I haven't been that nervous feeling in a long time. I got an 8pt I've been wanting for a couple of years and I hope I hold it together if he shows up.

Thanks for all the replies!

rjcruiser

Awesome...way to go! Nothing like it.

oldfella1962

nice! I bet that long wait to recover him was nerve wracking! :eek: Smart move though, it paid off.