Calibrating a boom sprayer

Core Lokt

How do you go about doing this? A friend has a few patches that have wild turnips that need to be sprayed. He has the recommended poison (2-4D LV6) and was told 1 pint per acre. He knows the total acreage for the 6 plots. Water tank is 55 gallons on boom sprayer.

These plots have Coaker 227 Oats and Wrens Abruzzi Rye That were planted on 10/6.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Curtis-UGA

I'll attempt to explain this.

First measure the boom and number of nozzles.

Then test the boom to set the pressure and always keep this the same. Adjust to a good pressure for coverage but not where it will drift.

Then find a comfortable spraying speed. Record gear and rpms, mph if available (free apps available).

Mark off a set distance ex. 100 feet then time how long it takes to travel that distance at the predetermined speed.

Turn sprayer on with pressure set and collect for the amount of time it took to cover the set distance. Do a few nozzles and get the average to be accurate.

Then just need to calculate obtained info. I'll give an example:

20ft boom
15 nozzles
1st gear at 2000 RPMs
15 seconds to cover 100 feet
10 oz collected in 15 seconds

20ft (boom)x 100 (Ft)= 2000sqFt covered
15 (sec) x 10 (oz)= 150oz
150oz=1.2 gallons
1.2gallons/2000sqft
so its putting out .6 gallons/1000sqft or 26 gallons/acre

since you have a 55 gallon sprayer you know it would cover 2.1 acres at 26 gallons/acre. So you would need 2.1 pints or 33.6 oz /tank of product.

I'm sure this is about as clear as mud. lol

Curtis-UGA

Yes, I would rather collect stationary than moving though. Keep from sloshing out.

Core Lokt

Wasn't bad at all. Got the plots sprayed and 2 days later the wild turnips were already wilting and the oats/rye was still standing tall.

You can see this plot was absolutely covered with them.