City water not germinating seed question

Silly question I know. Let me explain. Every year I plant a tiny plot in the back yard(yes in the city) at the same time I plant my plots where I hunt just to get somewhat of an idea of what my food plot will look like without having to drive out there and disturb the area. I tilled the spot, used fertilizer, lime and tilled again. Spread the seed, used a light drag over it and ran a sprinkler enough to make moisture meet. 6 days later, no germination at all. It rained on my plot the day after I planted (it did not rain in town), and the seed has germinated fairly nicely in 6 days. I planted cereal rye, oats, 3 different types of clover, radish, and austrian winter peas. My question is, could there be something in the city water causing my seed to not germinate? Temperature of the water maybe? Anyone ever experienced anything like this?

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Do you get the same amount of sun on each?
How much water on backyard plot vs rain on food plot?

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Go look closely and dig around to see if they germinated and died or if they haven't germinated yet.

There is enough moisture when moisture meets. The ground was soaked and there was no layer of dry soil. It wasn't lack of water. I did dig around and look at the seed and none had germinated.

doomtrpr_z71

Then it is lack of moisture, if the water was killing the seedlings, the radicle would emerge and die off, chlorine etc would not stop the seed from imbibing.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
The best thing you can do, is look for your seed right now and if you can, take a picture and show us.

Rain water is definitely better than tap water, for growing things, but it really shouldn't hurt germination. My lawn always looks better after a rain vs using my sprinkler.

Silly question, but by chance did you "spray" that home plot with anything before you planted? Some herbicides will have a residual affect and not allow anything else to grow, for a while.

280bst

The best thing you can do, is look for your seed right now and if you can, take a picture and show us.

Rain water is definitely better than tap water, for growing things, but it really shouldn't hurt germination. My lawn always looks better after a rain vs using my sprinkler.

Silly question, but by chance did you "spray" that home plot with anything before you planted? Some herbicides will have a residual affect and not allow anything else to grow, for a while.
That about the herbicide just 1 more thing just some advice you said you put down lime unless it was quick lime it will not effect the plot for around 6 months I'm going to put down lime this week for the spring garden Good Luck with your plot

j_seph

I noticed I could water my maters with city water and they survive, but some good ole rain on em and they thrive

Core Lokt

I looked it up once. The reason I found why rain water is better than well, city, etc is because all rain water has an electrical charge in it.

Ihunt

Bet they pop up now!