Do I really need a building Permit?

boneboy96

I'm having the deck on the back of my house torn down and replaced...same footprint and size, just replacing the whole structure with new wood. I live in the city of Roswell, and their website shows you need a permit to do just about everything from changing a fuse (electrical) to digging footers. I will need new footers obviously since the whole deck is being demo'ed, so can I get by without one? Would I need one if I were having a french door replaced? The door is rotted away and needs to be replaced as well. :confused:

funderburkjason

I would go with it and not worry about it. Its not like a new building where they can stop you from getting power or water. Just do it right and you should be fine.

Jim Baker

Staff member
I would go with it and not worry about it. Its not like a new building where they can stop you from getting power or water. Just do it right and you should be fine.

Bad answer. Deck will have to meet codes. Step rises, ballister widths, etc.

If it is completely removed then it will be a new structure.

You may get away with and may not. Not built to code could negate insurance in case of accidental injury of another party. Many things to consider. If you are going to build it right just buy the permit.

boneboy96

Bad answer. Deck will have to meet codes. Step rises, ballister widths, etc.

If it is completely removed then it will be a new structure.

You may get away with and may not. Not built to code could negate insurance in case of accidental injury of another party. Many things to consider. If you are going to build it right just buy the permit.

So would it require me to hire an engineer to make these 3 drawings that are required for the permit? And have someone come out to insure the footings are placed just so, to prevent soil erosion and tree compliance? And is the grading too steep? :huh:

FishingAddict

I'd be careful. If the work can be seen from the street, I'd plan on getting caught in Roswell. No experience in the matter, but it seems like the more dense the population, the more strict they get.

Not sure how the "asking forgiveness is easier than asking permission" goes in Roswell.

GB Young

Get a permit. Google Fairfax County Virginia/ deck details. It illustrates a deck plan that will pass anywhere. It is a great plan. Adjust dimensions, and check the spans. You wont need an engineer. Copy plan. Don't get caught without a permit. Most inspection offices are very helpful these days. Greg

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
In Forsyth Co., the building inspectors are looking for roll-offs, stacks of new and old wood, old water heaters out on trash day, etc. as indicators work is going on, then hitting you with fines for not getting permits. The Fairfax Co. google suggestion above is a good one. I've used it myself.

ranger1977

The best thing to do is call City of Roswell building dept./community delevopment dept. and ask them what they require of a homeowner when replacing a deck. The 2009 International Residential Code has illustrations for proper deck footings, post sizes according to height, guard rails, etc. They should be able to provide you with a copy of those illustrations. When I was an inspector in a jurisdiction nearer to my house, we would let the homeowner come in, sign an affidavit, get a permit, and then call for inspections. Before they started, I would sit down and explain to them with pictures, why and where things must go and how structures must be built. Deck failures are in the news constantly. Please get a permit and have it inspected. I turned down many a deck because of structural issues. However, I would always work with the homeowner to make it right, and I never charged them a reinspection fee. I cannot speak for the City of Roswell though.

Generally, you do not need a permit if replacing existing doors or windows, UNLESS you re frame the opening.

win280

I'd be careful. If the work can be seen from the street, I'd plan on getting caught in Roswell. No experience in the matter, but it seems like the more dense the population, the more strict they get.

Not sure how the "asking forgiveness is easier than asking permission" goes in Roswell.

They outlawed that in 1982.:bounce:If you get caught without a permit.They can make you tear it all down and start over. After they give you a citation. I would buy the permit..

I did two separate jobs for my sister without getting a permit. Her neighbor just got busted for the same thing, and they fined him $500 per day for every day that he had worked without one on top of the cost of the permit. I'm sure glad I didn't get busted. Guess I'll get a permit next time.

Last edited:

Pat Tria

Roswell is loaded with a bunch of bureaucratic idiots on the city council. A home owner needs a permit to do practically anything. You can't even (legally) cut a tree down in your own yard without a permit. If your going to contract the work, I'd leave the permitting up to the contractor. Good advice from ranger1977.

Poppy D

Bone boy, Go thru the permit for this, With the enconmy as is they bare looking for any thing the fines are too high. cheaper to get the permit. good luck.

gtparts

Fines, liens, work stoppages, having the "powers that be" hire some folks to remove whatever part of the new construction was not properly permitted at your expense, while some deputy stands by to maintain the peace.

Just pay the piper and dance your backside off.

You'll be way ahead of the game.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I'm having the deck on the back of my house torn down and replaced...same footprint and size, just replacing the whole structure with new wood. I live in the city of Roswell, and their website shows you need a permit to do just about everything from changing a fuse (electrical) to digging footers. I will need new footers obviously since the whole deck is being demo'ed, so can I get by without one? Would I need one if I were having a french door replaced? The door is rotted away and needs to be replaced as well. :confused:

Yep, and you'll have to go to the health department to get a copy of where the septic or sewer lines are located before they'll issue you a permit. The permit will be based on the cost of the project.

rospaw

Roswell is loaded with a bunch of bureaucratic idiots on the city council. A home owner needs a permit to do practically anything. You can't even (legally) cut a tree down in your own yard without a permit. If your going to contract the work, I'd leave the permitting up to the contractor.

This statement is sadly very true! I have lived here for 44yrs and it keeps getting worse every year. If your in the historic part of town get a permit anywhere else i would just build it.
We added a deck to a building we have by the square last year that should have cost around 12k. After city planning got involved it ended up 22k (us building it) due to there stainless hardware, 40 plus footings ect... The highest part of the deck is 6' of the ground. The code made us build it to hold 200lbs per foot. You can drive a dump truck loaded on this deck.

shakey gizzard

Get the permit! IMO A deck is the one project,( other than a bridge) that should be over built! You see it on the news every year!

golffreak

I think you need a building permit for just thinking about doing work.

Buckwheat

I would get a permit in Rome if they catch you working without one you will have to go before a judge and pay between 12 and a $1,500.00 find. Anything to generate income! Don't know how it is there but I don't think it's worth it not to atleast make a phone call to find out.