best squirrel rifle

HossBog

I've taken squirrels with about everything, but I realized that .22 shorts are all you need. Pluses are the little pop they make, cheaper to shoot, but hard to find. Shorts are my go to squirrel bullets these days. This eliminates most semi auto rifles, but I'd rather shoot pump or lever action.

greg_n_clayton

That Savage B-22 I mentioned earlier doing a awesome job. As far as the 22 shorts, I only have a Henry that will shoot them. But with open sights combined with my bad eye sight, they are a challenge!! And a Henry with a scope mounted on it is just unAmerican in my opinion.

one hogman

I like head shots with my AR-15 for tree rats. But if you are trying to save the hide I like my 22lr. I have a Remington 597 semi auto with a 30 round banana clip that is great for squirrels. A 22lr is too small for hogs but the AR-15 would be a better option. But it will be a little over your $300 budget. The AR-15 is also a good option for HD and mid sized game so it is a better all around gun.

I assume when you refer to using an AR15 for squirrels you mean a .223/.556 if so, that is not only dangerous by firing a centerfire rifle into the air but also it is illegal to use centerfire rifles for small game hunting,. The regs state a .17 caliber or larger rimfire rifle or muzzleloader.

red neck richie

I assume when you refer to using an AR15 for squirrels you mean a .223/.556 if so, that is not only dangerous by firing a centerfire rifle into the air but also it is illegal to use centerfire rifles for small game hunting,. The regs state a .17 caliber or larger rimfire rifle or muzzleloader.

They make a 22 conversion kit for ar15's. Just pointing out the versatility. A modern shotgun if you will.

Last edited:

GunnSmokeer

I bought a Marlin 39 with a 16.5" barrel and topped it with a red dot sight with squirrels in suburban settings in mind. And rats around the corn bin out at a friend's farm.
It would feed shorts, longs, CB's etc. just fine.
I could use a CB long and have plenty of killing power on a tree rat within 20 yards.

Anvil Head

Old Browning T-bolt with an old Weaver K4 scope is the most deadly tree rat gun I have, but I've taken them with just about everything legal. Never been a biggy on shotguns for TR's too much damage to the meat.
My favorite go to was (before my eyes started crapping out) my ML, Moni Lynn, .45 cap n ball. Made her back in the late '70's and she has taken a lot of TR's and deer over the years. Kind of funny, seems the early season hunts they'd come closer to see what the smoke was about - didn't take them long to find out neither. She was/is a "meat" gun, just wish I could still focus up in the shadow of the woods like I used too.

My cheap Savage with a Nikon rimfire scope is such a good squirrel killer I put one on the stock! Hard to beat that accutrigger.

Attachments

• KIMG0555.jpg
    KIMG0555.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 172

Swilli1054

Remington 552 auto, scoped with Weaver 4X. I shoot CCI .22 short hollow points. A new 552 is pricey. Good older models can be readily found at good prices.

Old Coach

Old school- Winchester 61 pump w/ weaver 4X
Newer bolt- CZ452 w/leupold 2x7 rf
Lever- Winchester 9422 or Marlin 39A open sights
Semi-auto Ruger 10-22 w/red-dot
Browning T-Bolt w/Leupold 3x9EFR

Anvil Head

Nice group of shooters.
Love the old 61's, my dad toted one anytime he went. First gun he ever bought brand new in the box (probably when they first hit the market). He was a dead-eye never scoped it, but rarely missed. Wife's got a BLR 22 that she's right handy with, but a little to "Shiney" for me. Had two diff. R 10-22, never did like the triggers but fun to shoot. I have to stick with my old T-bolt now my eyes have degraded.