Late Season Tactics?

South Man

For those who are still bow hunting this late in the year. What do you normally do this late in the season? Do you still hunt hardwoods?

watermedic

Food!

If you don't have food plots then you have to go back to the basics.

Scout to find the sign. Its there if you look hard enough.

Still tough this late either way.

Hunter922

We hunt privet hedge rows and edges. If you are on the right food you will see deer. We had deer on us last weekend on every hunt AM and PM. Be careful on the draw they are a little on edge right now. I had a buck bust me Saturday as i was drawing. I just needed 4 more seconds.:banginghe

Derek Snider

Personally, I stay out of the big hardwood draws. The exception would be a water oak still dropping on the edge of some thicker stuff and I would have to see hot sign around it before I hung a set and hunted. Otherwise, go to the evergreen browse. Briar tips, privet hedge, honey suckle, etc. After a rain like today, pines can be great as they will be picking off the fresh mushrooms coming up after this rain. If you have a field, food plot, pasture, etc....these become primary food sources during late season.

BowanaLee

Food and this time of year its privet hedge, possibly water oaks, honey locust, brier thickets and did I say privet hedge ? Its food and cover. If you find a hedge thicket, you found deer. Its usually located along water ways.

bubbafowler

Travel routes. I hunt hardwoods and fields because thats what I have. but The woods are so open the deer are back on a pattern and I hunt the travel trails.

Kris87

I typically like evenings way more in the late season, but mid-December I still have good luck with bucks. I saw two very nice shooters around 6am as I drove in this past weekend. One Saturday morning and another Sunday morning locked down with a doe. As the month ends, the bucks will be back on food trying to regain their weight.

deast1988

I like thickets that merge into hardwoods open canopy where browse could exist. I saw 8 last Saturday morning walking a 5th row through planted pines maybe 40yds from open hardwoods. The one I got, was 90% green browse 10% acorns. I was deep in the woods, and it most have found some left over acorns somewhere. Focus on food between bedding cover in transistion areas.

BowanaLee

This is where they hide around here. Stuck an antlerless deer coming out of this hedge thicket a few days ago. Set up on this creek crossing today but struck out. It ain't over yet !
I've got a ladder stand in the middle of that thicket but its hard for me to drag one up the creek banks by myself. So, I wait for one to cross then bust it.
If I still had a buck tag, I'd be in that ladder stand. They're as thick as fleas on a hound dog in there. They feel safe and travel all times of day. :cool:

Attachments

• 010.jpg resized.jpg
    010.jpg resized.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 296
  • 012.jpg resized.jpg
    012.jpg resized.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 299