General Camper Power Question!

frankwright

My hunting buddy bought an older camper to put on our hunting land.
I don't know anything about campers and he knows less.

He installed a deep cycle battery and it has some sort of power inverter for generator or battery..

Everything works with the generator but nothing works with 12V.

Could there be or is there usually a switch to select between power sources.

Just trying to get an idea before I go down and actually look at it. I have not been inside it yet.

Thanks!

georgiadawgs44

I recently bought a camper and had this same issue. The lights worked with 120V power but would not work off the battery. It ended up being one of the circuit breakers mounted on the trailer frame on the tongue. It doesn't look like a circuit breaker but that's what it is. It had Shortcircuit 12v 40 amp printed on it. I'll try and find a link do you'll know what it looks like. I replaced the one that didn't have continuity through it and fixed the problem. I's not anything that can be reset.

This is the one I ordered.
https://www.delcity.net/store/24V-A...MIjZ6qsIak2AIVBJ7ACh3hhAvjEAQYAyABEgKWrPD_BwE

frankwright

I appreciate it.

I will bring a meter with me and maybe I can figure it out.

Oldstick

I recently bought a camper and had this same issue. The lights worked with 120V power but would not work off the battery. It ended up being one of the circuit breakers mounted on the trailer frame on the tongue. It doesn't look like a circuit breaker but that's what it is. It had Shortcircuit 12v 40 amp printed on it. I'll try and find a link do you'll know what it looks like. I replaced the one that didn't have continuity through it and fixed the problem. I's not anything that can be reset.

This is the one I ordered.
https://www.delcity.net/store/24V-A...MIjZ6qsIak2AIVBJ7ACh3hhAvjEAQYAyABEgKWrPD_BwE

I agree, most campers have a 30 or 40 amp fuse or circuit breaker installed in the main line from the battery, usually near to where the battery is located. For protection in case of a short circuit somewhere causing the battery to overheat and/or explode.

If that fuse is blown (or gone bad in case of a breaker) there will be no voltage from the battery.

frankwright

Thanks, I will check the battery for power and work from there.
I thought you maybe had to flip a switch or something to select power source.

KDarsey

And some campers have a battery cut-off switch near or inside the battery box.