GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Everything Motorized - Boats - Trucks - ATV's - etc
Notices

Old 01-05-2018, 07:40 PM
Default AWD and gas mileage

Just curious how many drive their trucks in AWD all the time? Not 4 wheel drive but AWD. Do you get better gas mileage if you turn it off?
Old 01-06-2018, 05:50 AM

Never have, even in snow or mud I will choose 4hi instead. And then go back to 2hi when on pavement, So I can't say about mileage, although I'm sure it will lessen it driving around in AWD or 4wd auto, the problem with doing so is if any of your tires is a few lbs lower than the rest of them, the tire circumference will be different, and the computer will interpret that as a wheel slipping and activate the transfer case accordingly, same thing if one or more of your tires is worn more than the others, and it doesn't have to be a lot either.

I've seen many a transfer case come in the shop overheated and with the clutch pack smoked because of it working all the time the vehicle is going down the road.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:36 AM

You may be able to goto a manufactures site, say toyota for example, and compare models.

For example, the rav4. They have 2wd and awd versions. They'd probably have the sxs comparison of the models.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:39 PM

My wife has a Honda CR-V. It is available in 2 wd and AWD. There was a 1 mpg difference on the specs when we looked at them and compared everything on the window sticker

I imagine that to be a general rule, "a little bit worse in AWD"
Old 01-06-2018, 10:18 PM

My 2011 AWD Sierra Denali gets about 14 around town and 19 on the highway. A truck in 2wd gets about 15 and 20 same basic conditions. I love the AWD because I live on a gravel driveway and you don't have to worry about starting to pull out and then spinning the tires when a car comes flying around the curve.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:30 PM

wife's new (2017) V-6 4Runner is AWD /4WD and it gets 20mpg ( it stays in AWD all the time ) -- my 2006 Tundra V-8 4WD gets 20mpg -- with the newer Toyota models, not enough difference in gas mileage,but higher$$ when purchasing a 4WD - the AWD will handle better, you will especially notice on curves ( no lean*) - highly recommend the Toyota vehicles
Old 01-07-2018, 04:10 PM

Chose AWD(4WD) in the Explorer we got, as I like it when traveling in rain and of course should we hit snow which we've done two out of the last 5 trips up north in the March timeframe.