Proof of Auto Insurance in Georgia

PappyHoel

Co worker of mine was pulled over by Cobb County just the other day. The officer asked for ins card and he told him that he didn't have it but could pull it up on his phone. The officer told him that he didn't want to see his phone and that next time he better have a printed ins card if "he" pulled him over.

I think this is a standard response.

Artfuldodger

Yeah, that's what the map I posted says. :rolleyes:::ke::bounce:

True but the OP was talking about automated as if the officer can look it up. At least I think that is what he was talking about. Perhaps not.
Maybe I was getting automatic, digital, and electronic mixed up.

I should have said "Perhaps Electronic Proof has a different meaning from one state to the other or is different from the driver retrieving it or the officer retrieving it."

DannyW

True but the OP was talking about automated as if the officer can look it up. At least I think that is what he was talking about. Perhaps not.
Maybe I was getting automatic, digital, and electronic mixed up.

I should have said "Perhaps Electronic Proof has a different meaning from one state to the other or is different from the driver retrieving it or the officer retrieving it."

All I know is I am going to have to get up, hours before the crack of dawn, to make an 8:00 AM court appearance in Alabama to show the judge "proof of insurance".

Which could have been avoided with a stupid piece of paper, that proves nothing and could have easily been made with a software program and printer the day before.

ryanh487

From the GA DOR website: https://dor.georgia.gov/acceptable-proof-insurance

Acceptable Proof of Georgia Vehicle Liability Insurance Coverage

Proof of insurance, filed by your insurance company, in the Department of Revenue's database. Coverage can be verified with the Vehicle Insurance State Inquiry Application.
If your search shows insurance coverage then your coverage is on file with the state.
If your search shows no coverage, contact your insurance company immediately to:
Obtain insurance, or
Report that coverage is not entered in the state database.
Rental agreement is for a vehicle that is rented, not leased - must be carried in the rental vehicle while being driven.
Fleet Insurance Policy Card - must be carried in vehicle at all times while vehicle is being driven.
Bill of Sale, dated within 30 days of the date the vehicle was purchased, and a valid insurance binder page (usually the top page of an insurance policy) issued by a Georgia licensed insurer.
A valid Self-Insured Insurance Card and a Certificate of Self-Insurance must be carried in vehicle at all times
A self-insurer is any owner who has an approved self-insurance plan on file with the Georgia insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner's Office. This plan provides coverage, benefits and efficient claims handling procedures equal to those provided by an automobile liability insurance company and complies with all state laws, rules, and regulations. A certificate of self-insurance information issued by the Georgia Insurance and Safety Commissioner’s Office (ICO) must also be carried to qualify as acceptable proof of insurance coverage.
Valid Insurance policy information card for Georgia International Registration Plan (IRP) plans must be carried in the vehicle at all times.
This information care is issued in the registered owner’s name by a Georgia Licensed insurer and must display the vehicles identification number (VIN).

So according to that, you are only required to have paper proof of insurance by law in the event that you are self insured, on fleet insurance for work, in a rental car, or on the GIRP.

Cobb county cop was either profoundly ignorant or full of bovine feces, on a power trip and looking for easy revenue. If he wrote a ticket for it and you went to court, the solictor would throw it out without a second glance. He's banking on the fact that most folks just take cops at their word and pay the ticket online or by mail.

ryanh487

https://dor.georgia.gov/insurance-card-requirement

Actually cards are still required as I understand it. I believe the electronic version (phone app) is acceptable. Yes, the ticket will be thrown out if you gon to court, but as Strangelove said it only takes a few minutes to put the card in your vehicle and as DannyW says, it is much quicker than driving hours to court

I refuse to alter a single thing in the name of appeasing ignorant or bully cops. Do your job properly or find a career that doesn't involve public service.

Artfuldodger

I forgot my drivers licence yesterday. I asked my wife if I got pulled over what would happen? She said that since we live in a white collar conservative county and me being a white male would give me privilege.
I said yes I could say "I forgot my license officer, how about them Dogs? Trumps the man." The cop would then say "Yes sir, you don't need no stinking license."

ryanh487

I keep a picture of my license on my phone as well, just in case. They don't like that, and it most likely doesn't meet the legal reqirements, but it's better than nothing.