bow mount hand control vs foot control

hipster dufus

i need someone who runs a hand control bow mount to chime in, my 1648 mv jon has a foot control 55#mk w a 42 in shaft. the main issue is the foot pedal taking up so much room on my front deck. cable pedal. i realize i would have to stay w a long,42 in, shaft hand control, but the cable/pedal wouldnt be an issue. or go to a 36 in shaft foot control. anyone done this? thanks

Killdee

I have a 14 foot alumacraft I just replaced my old 30# 36" hand control with a 55# 36" hand control. I was tempted to buy a foot control but like you said, takes up 2 much space. I mostly bream fish so I don't move around as much as a bass fisherman would but works fine for me. I wanted a bow mount model with a rope deployment, but couldn't find one in 36" so I just converted a Stern mount.

JohnK

Standing, balancing up in the front of a jon boat on a big lake is hard on my back over a few hours. I've had both in a 16 ft. aluminum boat and I much prefer the foot control. I guarantee you it's safer. Maybe if you could sit and use the hand control it would be better. I don't know how much room you will gain with a bow mounted 52in shaft 55 lb hand control vs a 55lb 32' shaft foot control. Likely not much. I fish by myself so it's not really an issue to me either way.

pop pop jones

Mine works fine being a hand operation. Except for those few times when just as I reach for the handle to adjust my position, My line runs out, then falls slack. It's those times I'd love to have a foot controller.

spencer12

I've used both and imo it's much easier with a foot controlled trolling motor. I mostly bass fish and if the wind is blowing I have to stay on the trolling motor pretty much constantly it would be almost impossible to do this with a hand controlled motor.

hipster dufus

i would probably use a bigfoot switch to turn the hand control on and off, then u could move the tm handle with ur knee or hand. has anyone done this?

hopper

I have slways found it a pain to work a bank and cast and retrieve and set up next cast all while hand operating a trolling motor I vote foot controll

sasmojoe

I know my suggestion might be pricey, you might consider a minn Kota with I-pilot and use the remote control.

Terminal Idiot

I have a Minn Kota power drive on my 16' River Hawk. The foot controller is not awesome, particularly with the angle I am at sitting in the small boat. I got the small key-fob sized remote and it is great. I can control the motor from the front or back seat and makes it easy.

10sne1

Done both, foot better in wind and relaxed trolling.

Ihunt

I’m a hand control kind of guy. Works for me.

little rascal

Hand Control

i would probably use a bigfoot switch to turn the hand control on and off, then u could move the tm handle with ur knee or hand. has anyone done this?
Yep I have run both for years. Hand control w/bigfoot switch and a Kicker leaves more room on the deck and you don't get fatigued from standing with your weight on one leg or the other.
You correct for a boats position before you need to, you don't wait until it is coming around then get on it.
Hand control in the wind with a foot switch is the shizzle.

Gordon

I am a big fan of the wireless remote hand control. Foot controls take up space and always seem to aggravate my back. I bass fish and I find no issues using a wireless hand control around my neck. The other bonus is you can be anywhere on the boat and use it, this has helped in many situations.