bald eagles

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I watched this one catch a coot and fly up and feed on it not 20 feet from the back door at our cabin a few years ago. I actually got feathers in my hair and whiskers as she picked it. I have some good video of it, but don`t know how to post it.

Attachments

• av9.jpg
    av9.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 81

Cmp1

BANNED
I watched this one catch a coot and fly up and feed on it not 20 feet from the back door at our cabin a few years ago. I actually got feathers in my hair and whiskers as she picked it. I have some good video of it, but don`t know how to post it.

Nice shot Nic,,,, some beautiful birds,,,, this past spring I was real close to a pair of Osprey at this nearby lake,,,, I know you've got Osprey there that nest in your powerlines,,,, their beautiful also,,,,

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nice shot Nic,,,, some beautiful birds,,,, this past spring I was real close to a pair of Osprey at this nearby lake,,,, I know you've got Osprey there that nest in your powerlines,,,, their beautiful also,,,,

On top of our poles and structures, on stumps 2 feet above the water, ospreys will nest anywhere. I can show you 20 or more osprey nests. Eagles like to to stay high on average, like the eagle nest in the last picture. This nest produced one last year, and they`re adding to it now.

Attachments

• nest1.jpg
    nest1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 70
  • nest2.jpg
    nest2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 71
  • eagle nest.jpg
    eagle nest.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 71

Cmp1

BANNED
Just beautiful Osprey,,,, last year I watched them and they soared so high in the air currents that they were were actually out of sight,,,, amazing birds,,,, big also,,,,

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I have seen Bald Eagles while fishing Eufaula, Blackshear and Oconnee. Its cool to see Bald's and Osprey's "dogfighting" over the lakes...Bald's will steal a fish from a Osprey in a heartbeat.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
I have seen Bald Eagles while fishing Eufaula, Blackshear and Oconnee. Its cool to see Bald's and Osprey's "dogfighting" over the lakes...Bald's will steal a fish from a Osprey in a heartbeat.

I can second this- they're very common on eufaula.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Love to watch those sky fights between eagles and ospreys. This one was on Nilo Plantation.

Attachments

• divers.jpg
    divers.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 44

Cmp1

BANNED
I'm just amazed at how high the Osprey soar,,,, and they're so easy to spot,,,, almost the same size as an eagle,,,,

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I'm just amazed at how high the Osprey soar,,,, and they're so easy to spot,,,, almost the same size as an eagle,,,,

A hen osprey can compare somewhat with a male baldie other than the heavier build of the eagle, but a mature bald eagle hen is a truly massive bird. And her wingspread is nearly beyond belief. Hen eagles are huge, broad, and heavily built. :cool:

One good way to tell between an osprey and eagle when they are soaring is the osprey will keep its wings slightly bent and an eagle soars on straight wings.

Cmp1

BANNED
A hen osprey can compare somewhat with a male baldie other than the heavier build of the eagle, but a mature bald eagle hen is a truly massive bird. And her wingspread is nearly beyond belief. Hen eagles are huge, broad, and heavily built. :cool:

One good way to tell between an osprey and eagle when they are soaring is the osprey will keep its wings slightly bent and an eagle soars on straight wings.

This is true,,,, the wings of an Osprey are truly amazing,,,, same with the eagles but just not the same,,,,