Allatoona Lake?

CaptainSolo

I live in Chattanooga and have been looking at heading down and fishing Allatoona Lake just to check it out.

I have heard that Allatoona is a pretty brutally tough lake....some comparing it to the "dead sea". Lol. Honestly I could care less if it is that tough, because I like the challenge, but I was wondering if anyone has experience out there, and if there is any truth to these stories.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 3.25.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 3.25.46 PM.png
    425 KB · Views: 1,063
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 3.26.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 3.26.09 PM.png
    646.8 KB · Views: 1,064

TripleXBullies

There are plenty of fish in Allatoona. I grew up fishing it. TONS of crappie. I just fished a bass tourny there in November and brought 11 spots and one lm in the boat.

Jeff Raines

Check lake levels before you decide to fish it.Full pool is 840,during the summer.The COE pulls it down every year to around 825 for spring flood control.Right now it's around 829.

When they draw the water down and gets cold is when it's the best in my opinion. Don't care about fishing it any other time.

castandblast

To better help you, what are you wanting to fish for? the main species are spotted bass, crappie, and hybrids and some catfish. Yes, allatoona can be a hard lake to learn to fish, but it can also be very good once you figure out it out. Winter is a good time because all the wake boarders and Atlanta yahoos on the over sized cruiser boats aren't all over the place.

Tarpfisher

This is the time of year to hit toona...be prepared for no docks at any of the launches as they will be high and dry.

There is a pretty good crank with bite this time of year. You should be able to put up some pretty good numbers.

Good luck!!

JPetrick

I'm in my fourth year of "learning" the lake. What I've learned so far is use and trust your electronics. You usually have to hunt the fish down as they move around a lot. But there are plenty of them out there. And, as mentioned above, be careful this time of year as the lake level is way down. It is pretty easy to run aground and mess up your motor if you aren't careful. But then too, the fish don't have as much water to hide from you in. Good luck.

Crappiepappy

As stated above, what kind of fish are you looking for?
I do pretty good in the winter fishing for crappie.

Jonboater

Just fished south end of the lake12/17 and got skunk. No bait and not much fish in the area. Fished north end Kellogg to galt's ton of bait and lot more fish. End up with 6 small stripers on a spoon. If it was me fish the north end!

campinrob

I launched out of Stamp Creek last week three days. Did well the 1st day finding some hybrids. The last two days I could not find them and was skunked. Find the bait, you should find some fish sitting on points or flats. Use navionics be careful, lake is low. I attempted to launch from Little river yesterday. Bad move, I couldn't make it past the BF bridge. Warming up next week and I will be out for the hunt.

Wcgreen20

is there an updated status list for ramps on allatoona? Can't find one online.

Planning on going out tomorrow and was thinking about putting in at Bartow Carver. Any info on that ramp or others near that area? Thanks