Favorite Beach Campground

poohbear

I looked it up on YouTube. Some said it has a trailer park feel to it. Do they have a separate section for campers or are they mixed in with the permanent trailers. Looks like it has a big pool.

Yes they have some park models upfront , all the lots and park models have owners some rent them out when they are not there, others don't , we have meat several of the owners some have owned property there for many years and handed down through their family, everyone we have meat have been great people. I think this is why it's not to crowded as the parks in Myrtle. Great place we like and there is a lot to see and do around st Augustine too. Reservations are hard to get on a short term you can call every day to check on cancelations otherwise we try to make them a year in advance.

660griz

Grayton Beach State Park is pretty nice. Not on the beach but, it has a beach a short walk/ride away but, still in the park. Beach is not crowded. Freshwater pond too. Nice oyster bar a short bike ride away with nice bike paths. Coming back from that bar, wife could not stay on the path. Weird. :) We are going back in May for a week.

Last edited:

3ringer

Yes they have some park models upfront , all the lots and park models have owners some rent them out when they are not there, others don't , we have meat several of the owners some have owned property there for many years and handed down through their family, everyone we have meat have been great people. I think this is why it's not to crowded as the parks in Myrtle. Great place we like and there is a lot to see and do around st Augustine too. Reservations are hard to get on a short term you can call every day to check on cancelations otherwise we try to make them a year in advance.

We may try it out. I like the fact that we can take our dogs to the beach. Also they allow tents on the beach. We could probably find a daycare kennel in town while we explore St. Augustine.

Jeffriesw

We may try it out. I like the fact that we can take our dogs to the beach. Also they allow tents on the beach. We could probably find a daycare kennel in town while we explore St. Augustine.

We had a small house dog that we took with us several times while camping there. We never had to board him, but we did have to use them for after hours emergency vet care one time. We thought they were good to deal with.

I am pretty sure this is the place --> http://www.jacksonveterinarypractice.com/boarding.html

caughtinarut

grayton beach state park is pretty nice. Not on the beach but, it has a beach a short walk/ride away but, still in the park. Beach is not crowed. Freshwater pond too. Nice oyster bar a short bike ride away with nice bike paths. Coming back from that bar, wife could not stay on the path. Weird. :) we are going back in may for a week.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Haven't camped there but Ft. Clinch State Park near Fernandina looked pretty nice. I don't think the campround was right on the beach, but looked shady and easy drive to the beach, maybe even walkable.

There was a huge, and I mean YUGE fishing pier out into the ocean next to the beach area.

Ft Clinch is my favorite. Been going there since I went as a kid with my family in the early 60s. Voted twice over the years (IIRC) the best campground in America. One campground on the river, very shaded and where I like to stay. One campground at the beach, no shade but walking distance to the beach. The river campground is about a mile from the beach but has River beach and dunes.

The good spots fill up 10 months in advance and the entire campground fills up 4 to 6 months in advance. To get a particular spot you have to be sitting at the computer when the window for reservations opens 11 months out.

Bob Shaw

Look at St. Joseph Peninsula State Park in Florida. It's REAL remote and you are basically surrounded by beach. But, it's a long way to things like restaurants and grocery stores. Since it's a Florida State Park, there's a good chance they'll allow dogs, but, you need to check. At Fort Desoto, you have to drive to the dog beach. I liked Top Sail Hill State Park near Destin, but it's about 1/4 - 1/2 mile to the private beach, with a shuttle service. Since it backs-up to a Wildlife Management area, you have to watch-out for rattle snakes (seriously).

Greene728

Look at St. Joseph Peninsula State Park in Florida. It's REAL remote and you are basically surrounded by beach. But, it's a long way to things like restaurants and grocery stores. Since it's a Florida State Park, there's a good chance they'll allow dogs, but, you need to check. At Fort Desoto, you have to drive to the dog beach. I liked Top Sail Hill State Park near Destin, but it's about 1/4 - 1/2 mile to the private beach, with a shuttle service. Since it backs-up to a Wildlife Management area, you have to watch-out for rattle snakes (seriously).

We just returned from Topsail Hill and its just O.k with us. The campground is awesome with full hookups, mostly paved or concrete pads (a few are pea gravel but level), but kinda tight in some spots. The beach access is what killed it for us. Its definitely a pain compared to the likes of St George Island or PSJ. It was exactly 1.2 miles from our camper to the boardwalk which is .2 miles long itself for a total of 1.4 miles to the beach itself. PITB for sure! The killer is its either walk, bike, or ride the tram dragging all your stuff along with you BTW. But I did like the convenience of places to eat and stores. Like Bob said, PSJ or SGI is a ride to about anything. But man is it beautiful and peaceful! And rattlers are abundant at both parks. It all depends on whats important to you. We camp for nature, serenity, to get away....so we will be back at SGI next year!

Artfuldodger

If I go to a beach campground, I like the walk to the beach to be fairly close. Port St. Joe was a favorite of ours when we lived in Albany.
It is a bit away from stores with major supplies. We liked the sunsets over the water. The raccoons were the biggest problem.

I liked having the ocean on one side and the bay on the other.

I've been to Fort Clinch a few times usually camping on the beach side. Mosquitoes are bad on the river side. The beach side does get hot though having no shade.

From Augusta, I'd probably pick Edisto Beach SP.

Tacoma

Get the free app... RV PARKY.

Choose any beach, city or zip code and it will give you details about every campground in that area.

jeardley

St Joe peninsula has my vote although I haven't been to SGI yet. I just discovered the place about 2 years ago and love it. Made 3 trips down and have another coming up Sept 23-30. 2 of 3 trips the fishing has been great considering it's been from a yak or wading. White sand beaches, very few people, clear water = paradise for me. The raccoons will get into anything they can so don't leave any food around (They know how to open coolers and totes). Also, the bugs/biting flies can be pretty bad so if bringing wife/kids load up on some spray. It's the closest to what Florida probably looked like prior to all the modernization I have found so far.

Artfuldodger

We looked at SGI but liked St. Joe better. It was a longer walk to the beach at SGI than St. Joe.

We rode into Port St. Joe a few times and over to Mexico Beach to eat a few times.
We also went into Apalachicola a few times which is only a short drive from either beach.

St. Joe Bay is a little smaller than Apalachicola Bay. Gathering scallops can be harvested when in season.

LTZ25

Check out Parnells Marina and R V resort in Port ST Joe Fl. Ive never been but it looks like a great place for fishermen .

poohbear

Check out Parnells Marina and R V resort in Port ST Joe Fl. Ive never been but it looks like a great place for fishermen .

Man I used to go there when I was a kid haven't been there in a long time but it is a good fishing hole and scalloping, they have done a lot of improvements since I was there last. Good folks there too if the presnells still run it.

Artfuldodger

Wow, that place has really improved since last time I've been as well. I would say for fishing, that would be the place to stay. One could still go there to rent a kayak or paddle board for the bay even if camping out on the state park.

The Dead Lakes near Wewahitchka always looked inviting as we passed through on our way to Port St. Joe.

mdgreco191

Here is a private campground in that area but I've never even drove into it at Indian Pass;

https://www.indianpasscamp.com/

Stayed here once. It is an OK campground. Don't think we would ever stay there again though.

Just got back from St. Andrews Island in PCB and it is a pretty neat place. Fort Desoto is a cool and we are going back next year. Ft. Pickens in Pensacola is nice as well and we are going there again next year as well. We are going to try out Henderson beach in Destin for the first time next year as well. Lots of options out there, but you got to book well in advance...

Greene728

Stayed here once. It is an OK campground. Don't think we would ever stay there again though.

Just got back from St. Andrews Island in PCB and it is a pretty neat place. Fort Desoto is a cool and we are going back next year. Ft. Pickens in Pensacola is nice as well and we are going there again next year as well. We are going to try out Henderson beach in Destin for the first time next year as well. Lots of options out there, but you got to book well in advance...

We rode through Henderson Beach back in July while staying at Topsail Hill. It looked very nice indeed! And boy does it stay booked up! Best thing about it to me was the convenience to great restaurants and grocery stores, yet private and secluded.