Could that have been a King?

Scallen

Hey folks. So the wife and I decided to head out Monday for some near shore bottom fishing. The week before - before the cold snap - we had marks a lot of fish just a couple miles off shore in 16-20 feet of water, so we thought we might see if we could catch a couple and see what they were. No luck. Water temp had dropped from about 62 the week before down to 54-55.

What we did mark, about 2.5 miles offshore in 30-35 feet of water, at about 15-20 feet down, was the occasional isolated fish - but they were pretty good sized judging from their thickness on the graph.

Then, while we were just sitting there with some cut bait out on the bottom, this big silver fish comes leaping out of the water about 20 yards to starboard. The thing looked about 3 feet long and came it's body length out of the water. I happened to be looking in that direction and was able to see it had something in it's mouth, so it must have blown up on a baitfish.

Now with the brief glimpse I got, this thing looked like a king mackerel. Is that possible? Would a king be this close in this time of year, in 30' deep 55 degree water? I don't know much about them, but if they are close inshore I might go do some slow trolling and see what we can tempt up.

Jimmy Lee Armel

Very easily could be a king. The last time I was out they were feeding very heavily on the surface which is always fun. Hopefully they are where you left them and you didn't just catch the transitioning during their migration. I always keep a God and my kingfish binder handy. I'm obssessed with them and won't miss an opportunity to catch one :). Let us know how it goes and stay safe.

Scallen

Either king or barracuda would be fun to catch. Can they be trolled for close to shore this time of year?

Jimmy, you should do an article for GON or a book on the yearly habits of Kings and how to catch them. You seem to know where they are and what they are doing. I'd buy it.

PappyHoel

I've caught a large king mackerel about 10 miles off the coast but it was in 150' of water. We were also bottom fishing and not trolling.

Jimmy Lee Armel

Either king or barracuda would be fun to catch. Can they be trolled for close to shore this time of year?

Jimmy, you should do an article for GON or a book on the yearly habits of Kings and how to catch them. You seem to know where they are and what they are doing. I'd buy it.

That was supposed to say TLD not God but I like him on my side too lol. I think you have to pay GON to write for them, which I can't afford on a captains pay. I have been off the water a week so we will see if I can find them again. I have caught them a mile or more off of a reef system. Just look for the signs. Sounds like you know what they are. Be ready for them in case you only have a small window. I've been bottom fishimg and quickly had to transfer over to kingfish mode. Alone, it's not hard. Get a boat full of folks and it gets hairy but a lot of fun as long as you're safe. I would be more than happy to write an article. Just need someone that would want it. When are you going out again?

Scallen

That was supposed to say TLD not God but I like him on my side too lol. I think you have to pay GON to write for them, which I can't afford on a captains pay. I have been off the water a week so we will see if I can find them again. I have caught them a mile or more off of a reef system. Just look for the signs. Sounds like you know what they are. Be ready for them in case you only have a small window. I've been bottom fishimg and quickly had to transfer over to kingfish mode. Alone, it's not hard. Get a boat full of folks and it gets hairy but a lot of fun as long as you're safe. I would be more than happy to write an article. Just need someone that would want it. When are you going out again?

Thought about tomorrow, but our marina is rebuilding their docks and asking people (nicely) for 24 hrs notice to launch out of dry dock. And - I am not quite set up for trolling yet. I have a couple great trolling rods - a couple Connley custom 7' 20-50 weight rods with Penn Fathom 40LWs spooled with 40lb mono on them - but I dont have all the terminal tackle or lures yet (though some is on its way).

So, tomorrow is going to be the 16' Tracker Panfish back in the creeks. Water temp has dropped to around 54-55, so I imagine the fish will be holding a little deeper in the channels. I have identified some 13-15 foot holes at the bends in a couple creeks that I am going to try bottom bouncing some jigs and slow floating a live shrimp through just on a splitshot rig.

I'm sure we will be out in the next week. I kinda retired when I moved down here in Sept. and spend a lot of time fishing.

Jimmy Lee Armel

Thought about tomorrow, but our marina is rebuilding their docks and asking people (nicely) for 24 hrs notice to launch out of dry dock. And - I am not quite set up for trolling yet. I have a couple great trolling rods - a couple Connley custom 7' 20-50 weight rods with Penn Fathom 40LWs spooled with 40lb mono on them - but I dont have all the terminal tackle or lures yet (though some is on its way).

So, tomorrow is going to be the 16' Tracker Panfish back in the creeks. Water temp has dropped to around 54-55, so I imagine the fish will be holding a little deeper in the channels. I have identified some 13-15 foot holes at the bends in a couple creeks that I am going to try bottom bouncing some jigs and slow floating a live shrimp through just on a splitshot rig.

I'm sure we will be out in the next week. I kinda retired when I moved down here in Sept. and spend a lot of time fishing.

I'm going to take the time this next week and put some very basic stuff about king fishing on here. At least what I looked for. As far as inshore, this time of year is awesome for soft plastic. I like the gold flake pre rigged zman shrimp under a cork