Vista Sage 62" Take Down Recurve

Buckman18

Anyone had any experience with these? They are on the basspro website for $139.99.

Thought about putting one on my Christmas list so I can recurve hunt with Brownitisdown next bow season.

KevinK

I have one with 2 sets of limbs. It is a Samick Sage. BassPro labels it on the packaging from Fleetwood as a Vista but the bow has Samick Sage marked on it. It was my first traditional bow and I have an opinion of it that will differ from many others so take it FWIW. If I had to do it over again I would have bought a vintage bow and not a Samick. In fact I still have the bow and it is an experimental bow I use for that because I don't care what happens to it. One day when I am done with it I will not sell it and I won't even give it away, I will throw it in the trash. I have also owned another Samick and it made my opinion worse (I no longer own that bow and was not safe to shoot). A lot of guys would recommend a Samick as a first bow for someone new to traditional archery but I would rather see someone go with a Vintage Bear, Browning, etc. At the very least if you don't like it you could get what you paid for out of it, a Samick, not the case. For $60-80 more you can get a good vintage bow from RMS gear, Big Jim's or Traditional Archery sales (Len Busbee). I have bought from all 3 and have never felt I got a bad deal for what I paid.

jekilpat

I feel obligated to give an opinion, also based on real life experiences. As with any product, opinions will vary & people can and do have very different individual results with the same bow. With that said, I started out with a Samick Sage & had great results. Once matched with a properly spined & weighted arrow, it shot quiet and plenty fast. I killed quite a few deer with it too. I shot it with 45, 50, & 55 # limbs. I later moved on to more expensive bows - but one thing is for sure - more money doesn’t always equate to better shooting. There are plenty of economy priced bows that take big game every season. I tell people all the time, “the magic ain’t in the bow, it’s in the man holding the bow”. That’s why I kept my Sage as a reliable backup should I ever need it. I’m not trying to influence you in any direction but simply providing you with another view point. Hope it helps.

Curvebow05

I have purchased two. One for me and one for a buddy for Christmas a few years ago. They are phenomenal FOR THE MONEY, but don't expect an $800 custom to be on the same level. Use the extra $60-80 to get arrows and broadheads setup and graduate later on. If you have patience, Cabelas will put them on sale for under $100. I paid $79 for one and $129 for the other. Brand new. The versatility is worth it also. Once you graduate to the better bow, you can easily sell it or swap limbs for the wife/girlfriend to shoot. Just make sure you don't take them both at the same time that's not good for your health

Last edited:

bwagon83

seems ok to me

I'm a newbie to trad huntin. In my second season with a 55lb sammick sage. Killed 4 deer with it, lost one and missed one. As jekilpat stated, the two I came up short on weren't the bows fault. I like it. Thought about trying a longbow sometime just to see how i like it compared to a recurve because us hunters are never content with anything:huh:

oldfella1962

I'm a newbie to trad huntin. In my second season with a 55lb sammick sage. Killed 4 deer with it, lost one and missed one. As jekilpat stated, the two I came up short on weren't the bows fault. I like it. Thought about trying a longbow sometime just to see how i like it compared to a recurve because us hunters are never content with anything:huh:

I had a Samick SLB 69" longbow in 45# a few years back but Samick often made bows heavier than what they are rated at - so it was probably 48# or so - just a bit too much until I built up a lot more strength so I sold it. But that bow was incredibly quiet - it sounded like a cross between a hummingbird and a bumblebee - just a gentle, quiet hum. And it was very accurate.

Buckman18

Thanks for all the replies. Santa brought me this bow, and brownitisdown has coached me to the point where I could at least hit an elephant broadside at 20 paces. Been a lot of fun!