Time to give the old boat a facelift

bckwzlineman

My 1988 tracker 16' panfish needs some attention, the carpet is rotten and coming apart and when i screw down accessories i can tell the wood is getting very soft so its time for an overhaul before spring. The whole inside is carpeted and im pondering putting something else back other than carpet like a roll in bedliner but im not sure, my concerns are mainly first and foremost heat from the sun and of course price, has anyone else tried this? I do know lighter colors dnt get as hot but there are many options out there. Anyone found a good product for this application?

GA native

You're going to spend a small fortune replacing that marine plywood.

But once that is done, I've seen a few boats with the spray on bedliner. It comes in several colors, is waterproof, and durable. The outdoor turf is dirt cheap, but the rhino shield would be better, I think.

Rhino Shield, in Marietta, quoted me a price of $600 for a 6'x8' trailer. I would figure a 16' panfisher to be near that price. A quote over the phone is cheap. Ask them.

Last edited:

ryanh487

Try monstaliner.com. It's DIY, lots of color options, and very fade resistant. Costs about $140 for a gallon with application kit depending on which color you choose. Might want to add the primer as well though it's not required, but is recommended for quality.

StriperrHunterr

If you're going to any kind of roll on or spray in liner I'd recommend you over prep the areas. Scuff them, clean them, clean them again, clean once more and even do an etch on it before you apply the liner. If there's any voids or gaps water is going to find a way in and it will eventually peel if you don't.

Another option is SeaDek. It's a bit pricey, but they can custom cut you any shape or design and have a wide variety of options for colors and patterns. It's durable, a nice foam for padding and quieting, and would be the way I go if I had a carpeted boat that needed work. I'm even considering getting some for my skiff for the front and rear decks and a pad for under the leaning post.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
The carpet and wood on my pf16 probably only has a few years left. When it's time I plant to re-do it just like it was. Carpet is comfy and quiet, lasts years and years. I just try to keep it dry and hit it with resolve once in a while to keep the mildew, fish blood, squished vienna sausage stains in check. Question for the thread- when you add those special liner finishes, how does it add up in overall weight?

NOYDB

BANNED
The carpet reduces noise and protects your gear. Do it right the first time, don't short yourself to save a dime and then spend a dollar later.