Sanding cedar

patriot15joe

Started a project on a cedar chest. It had what I thought was some type of clear coat on it, but the more I work it I think it is sap. Any tricks for getting this off? It gums up while sanding.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 430

WayneB

it may be varnish or shellac.
try a little corn starch or baby powder on your sandpaper.

it seems weird, but it works.

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'd use a scraper

hopper

Looks like a varnish hard to tell fro pic. Razor scraper held st 90 degree pull scraper slowly applying pressure to remove as much as you can. Pushing the blade can cut into the wood.
Then clean with accetone (flashes off fast) and rag maybe even a green pad. Then palm sander 150 grit. You may need 100 grit then 150 then 200.
I hate the gummy stuff change paper alot durring 1st sanding so you acually get a bite and not smear the gum around.
Good luck.

WayneB

the powder acts as a barrier between the gummy crud and the sandpaper. I've had to use this method on some improperly mixed resins to remove.

Isopropyl achohol (rubbing alchohol) may work to strip the gooey layer off as well.
Experiment and see what works.

Nugefan

what grit sand paper you using that gums up ???

patriot15joe

The stripper did the trick. Then sanded with 120 grit and again with 220 grit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 203

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
probably should have used a coat of sanding sealer on the bare wood. It helps close the pours of the wood up, and gives a much smoother finish.

You will have to sand that down and put another coat on it. Probably sand that down and put on and 3rd and 4th coat.

I use 0000 steel wool to sand between coats most times

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I have some 1000 grit I was planning to sand the poly with in between coats.

to fine a grit. nothing finer than 320. i would use 220 sterated paper for a faster cut and less clogging. If 220x worried you, then 240 or 280x.

I use to sell a bunch of paper to the furniture industry here. Even the finest finishes never went finer than 400 before the last coat.

BTW... the finest finish you will ever find on wood is a casket. period.