Removing paint from old sword?

Al White

This might not be the right section, but figured this might be the best place to ask. Someone, years ago, painted an 1855 calvary sword black - blade, handle, everything. What is the best way to take it back to the authentic finish? The handle seems to be leather that is also painted over.

Anvil Head

No matter what you choose to remove the paint be sure to test a small inconspicuous area first so you have an idea of how things are going to go.
You are looking at probably 3 different materials - steel blade, brass or other softer metal guard, and leather grip - with paint on them and each one will likely respond differently to chemical strippers so test each very carefully. Scraping or sanding would be last alternative. There are some environmentally safe strippers out there, but they are still chemicals and can react with the undersurface in a negative, undesirable way.
It might behoove you to visit a reputable antique dealer for a better idea of what will work for you.
Make sure the item is indeed a serious quality antique of value before spending a lot of money on restoration. There are a lot of fakes and reproductions out there and the paint may be camoflage.

Be aware - if it is indeed a true antique, the chances of saving or restoring the item to original is a long shot for the home/hobbiest. Again, it all boils down to value you place on it.

Al White

Thanks man, i appreciate the info. I found one other like it online, it's an F.S. Jung 1855 calvary saber. They were imported from Soligen and sold to the states for the war. I believe it was painted over to cover up some pitting on the blade from what i can tell. I'll likely let someone clean it up for me.

LureheadEd

Might try and contact Charles at Attic Treasures in Watkinsville....

jigman29

If you are even up this way and want to plan it out I can remove it for you. We have a poly bead blaster at work that will not hurt aluminum so I am sure the metals will be fine. I wont be able to help you with the leather part but all the metal I can handle for you.