When to spray clover plots?

Bushhog Bob

I need to spray grass killer on my clover plots . Can you spray anytime or does the temperature need to be warmer. Also, how long does it need to be dry weather after you spray. Thanks for any info.

Ihunt

Spray now. The chemical needs to be on there 2 hours before rainfall. I sprayed mine a month ago but I’m in Dooly county.

Ihunt

And remember Grass killer is very slow acting. The first week you will wonder why it’s not working. By the end of the second week most should be dead.

Forest Grump

As long as the grass you want to kill has broken dormancy & is growing, it will take up herbicide & be killed. If you are wanting to kill a warm season grass like Bermuda or Bahia, wait a bit.

Use clethodim, 8-16 oz/ac + 1 qt COC.

ucfireman

Everyone keeps saying plant a "perennial clover plot", so what do yall recommend? I have planted Ladino, but would like a mix of 2 or 3. Would really like to plant all at 1 time I know some germinate better in fall than spring.

BuckNasty83

Not trying to hijack, but I'm about to start my clover plot maintenance today. I planted a clover/oats, brassica mix last fall. The the clover is just starting to take off.

Just a few questions. The plot has stayed green since planted in fall. Are these grasses I'm seeing still the oats?

When is clover most productive for deer?

What can I add to the mix to enhance it without tilling? I was thinking chicory and red clovers now, then brassicas later? Are these my only options without turning the dirt? I'm guessing oats are too big to throw into standing clover for the fall? Anything i can add for the summer? Thanks in advance

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Everyone keeps saying plant a "perennial clover plot", so what do yall recommend? I have planted Ladino, but would like a mix of 2 or 3. Would really like to plant all at 1 time I know some germinate better in fall than spring.

The White Tail Institute clover is a mix and works well for a perennial clover plot. Plant in the fall, mainly becuase you will get less competition from weeds and grasses, to start. Plus it will give the clover a longer time to establish their roots, before the heat of the following summer.

If you'd like another option, Durana and Patriot clover (Pennington Seed) work well together too. At some point the Durana will just take over.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Not trying to hijack, but I'm about to start my clover plot maintenance today. I planted a clover/oats, brassica mix last fall. The the clover is just starting to take off.

Just a few questions. The plot has stayed green since planted in fall. Are these grasses I'm seeing still the oats?

When is clover most productive for deer?

What can I add to the mix to enhance it without tilling? I was thinking chicory and red clovers now, then brassicas later? Are these my only options without turning the dirt? I'm guessing oats are too big to throw into standing clover for the fall? Anything i can add for the summer? Thanks in advance

It's quite possibly the oats that are still there or it could be some grasses. If you were to spray it, with 10 ounce of Clethodim plus one quart of crop oil, to the acre, it would take care of that for you.

My deer eat clover year round, but there are other things at other times of the year that they prefer, like acorns.

Chicory is a perennial, as well and you can add it in the fall, without working the soil up. Adding the chicory will add some complexity to what you can spray. Consider a weed wiper then.

Any small seed, broadcast will work and likely germinate for you, assuming your current clover isn't too thick. Wheat, cereal rye and oats would germinate as well, with the right amount of moisture.

The only question I have for you, is what type of clover did you plant? Crimson will be done in May .... Arrowleaf will be done in June, but if you planted a Ladino or Durana, or WTI, it will keep going.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
The White Tail Institute clover is a mix and works well for a perennial clover plot. Plant in the fall, mainly becuase you will get less competition from weeds and grasses, to start. Plus it will give the clover a longer time to establish their roots, before the heat of the following summer.

If you'd like another option, Durana and Patriot clover (Pennington Seed) work well together too. At some point the Durana will just take over.

What he said. ^ In my experience Durana is a little bit finicky to get started but once you get it going it's the gift that just keeps on giving. You have to take care of it but it's not that hard to do. Some lime and 0-20-20 in the Spring and Fall, some 2-4-D b and a little Poast or clethodim for broadleaf weed and grass control and you're "in clover" so to speak.:bounce: Deer and turkey love it too.

FootLongDawg

What he said. ^ In my experience Durana is a little bit finicky to get started but once you get it going it's the gift that just keeps on giving. You have to take care of it but it's not that hard to do. Some lime and 0-20-20 in the Spring and Fall, some 2-4-D b and a little Poast or clethodim for broadleaf weed and grass control and you're "in clover" so to speak.:bounce: Deer and turkey love it too.[/QUOTE

you are right about everything except you forgot mowing. keep mowed about 8 to 10 inches high. Just enough to take the top third off. At least twice a year.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
you are right about everything except you forgot mowing. keep mowed about 8 to 10 inches high. Just enough to take the top third off. At least twice a year.

I've never been lucky enough to get it high enough to need mowing but I'm hoping this year is my year.:bounce:

FootLongDawg

your plots look great, but you wont believe how it reacts to mowing especially if it gets rain. During summer droughts you will think it is dead and gone, only to return robustly in the fall.

Latest posts