Planted first garden. How to produce the most vegetables?

work2play2

Banned again & will band again soon
I planted 12 tomato plants. 8 bell pepper plants. 4 squash. And 3 cucumber plants. I mixed top soil with the original dirt. I was going to fertilize all with miracle grow. Looking for advice on how to produce alot of veggies. I'm not doing this to save money just as a hobby. I don't mind spending money on it. Any advice? Thanks

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Weekly applications of epson salt water will help with blossom end rot.
I put down landscape fabric with hay over it to help contain moisture and help limit weed growth(that takes nutrients away from your veggies.
Others on here are a lot more knowedgeable .

JackSprat

As summer goes on, make sure to develop a regular watering schedule. It doesn't have to be a lot just regular. Letting the plants dry out really stresses them.

Regular feeding of diluted Miracle Grow.

Spray per instructions with a fungicide. I alternate between Captan and Maneb. Try not to splash water on the mater plants.

Pick regularly. Mature fruit slows down production.

With tomatoes, you will get more if you pick them when they "break" and ripen them indoors in a warm dark place - not the Frigidaire. They will taste the same as "vine ripened" tomatoes. I have started doing this in the last few years and it has made a significant difference in my tomato harvest.

davidhelmly

As summer goes on, make sure to develop a regular watering schedule. It doesn't have to be a lot just regular. Letting the plants dry out really stresses them.

Regular feeding of diluted Miracle Grow.

Spray per instructions with a fungicide. I alternate between Captan and Maneb. Try not to splash water on the mater plants.

Pick regularly. Mature fruit slows down production.

With tomatoes, you will get more if you pick them when they "break" and ripen them indoors in a warm dark place - not the Frigidaire. They will taste the same as "vine ripened" tomatoes. I have started doing this in the last few years and it has made a significant difference in my tomato harvest.

Jack, what is, when they "break"?

JackSprat

Jack, what is, when they "break"?

Your tomatoes will be all bright green and growing.

Then one day, you will notice that around the stem, the green has become lighter, and the next day, there is the faintest hint of pink. That is when they "break".

As far as the plant is concerned, the tomato is mature. It will not get any larger.

Most "vine ripened" tomatoes in retail stores are picked at this stage and the rules allow the stores to call them "vine ripened".

The ripening process after this is a chemical reaction that will take place on or off the plant. While we all grew up cherishing "sun ripened tomatoes" the ripening process happens in the dark, so a dark warm place will accelerate ripening. Some people wrap them in newspaper and keep them in the garage. Refrigerating tomatoes stops the ripening process.

Picking the tomatoes at this stage (some call it "pink") reduces loss from scald, animals, insects, weather, and so on.

I, like everyone else, grew up on those perfectly ripened garden tomatoes hanging from the vine, but after several years of following this procedure, I am convinced that there is no difference in taste or texture.

The only exception are my little grape tomatoes. You lose too many of them if you try to harvest them before they are all ripe, so I just leave them alone.

Color chart
https://www.floridatomatoes.org/retail/tastier-tomatoes/

And I don't expect anyone to just take my word for it, here is what the fine people at the U of GA say about it:

https://news.uga.edu/pick-tomatoes-at-breaker-stage/

davidhelmly

Your tomatoes will be all bright green and growing.

Then one day, you will notice that around the stem, the green has become lighter, and the next day, there is the faintest hint of pink. That is when they "break".

As far as the plant is concerned, the tomato is mature. It will not get any larger.

Most "vine ripened" tomatoes in retail stores are picked at this stage and the rules allow the stores to call them "vine ripened".

The ripening process after this is a chemical reaction that will take place on or off the plant. While we all grew up cherishing "sun ripened tomatoes" the ripening process happens in the dark, so a dark warm place will accelerate ripening. Some people wrap them in newspaper and keep them in the garage. Refrigerating tomatoes stops the ripening process.

Picking the tomatoes at this stage (some call it "pink") reduces loss from scald, animals, insects, weather, and so on.

I, like everyone else, grew up on those perfectly ripened garden tomatoes hanging from the vine, but after several years of following this procedure, I am convinced that there is no difference in taste or texture.

The only exception are my little grape tomatoes. You lose too many of them if you try to harvest them before they are all ripe, so I just leave them alone.

Color chart
https://www.floridatomatoes.org/retail/tastier-tomatoes/

And I don't expect anyone to just take my word for it, here is what the fine people at the U of GA say about it:

https://news.uga.edu/pick-tomatoes-at-breaker-stage/

Thanks, I had never heard that term before but had to pick all of mine at that stage last year to keep the mocking birds from getting them! :hammers:

atlashunter

Get a soil test done. Costs around $15 through your county extension agent. That will tell you exactly what it needs.