Would you shoot one off the roost?

Would you shoot a bird off of the roost?

• Total voters

BPR

Have you or would you ever shoot one off the roost? I don't mean a bird that hops from limb to limb to come to your calling or a follow up shot. I mean sneaking up on one and shooting him off of the limb.

Would it take a special situation before you would do it or are you pro killing turkeys no matter what the method is?

Last edited:

BPR

I doubt you will get a single yes. Unless someone is just trying to :stir:

I think you will be surprised. I've seen several people admit to shooting them off of the roost or saying that they would not hesitate to shoot one.

MKW

The ONLY way that I would ever take a shot at a turkey in a tree is if I had already shot(and wounded) him on the ground. A bird in a tree is safe with me, regardless of the time of day.

Mike

BPR

The ONLY way that I would ever take a shot at a turkey in a tree is if I had already shot(and wounded) him on the ground. A bird in a tree is safe with me, regardless of the time of day.

Mike

Good point Mike. I edited the question to include that.

pnome

YES!

This season is going to be #5 for me and still haven't got a bird yet. I'll take em any way I can get em.

SGADawg

I would not shoot one on the roost. I would and have sneaked up and ambushed one on the ground during the day. If one came to my calling and landed in a tree for whatever reason, you can bet I would shoot him out of that tree.

fullstrut

I like to shoot mine on the ground. Would feel bad about a limb shot.

No sir. Even if it is legal and if it is the States should remove it from being legal. Never thought of checking but will now for VA.

howl

Banned
I support the right of others to do so as long as they don't exceed the bag limit. I, myself, would not. I enjoy hunting turkeys too much to ruin it that way.

fullstrut

Well you could start another poll kindda on the same line would shoot ducks on the or shoot them when they are cupped and comitted? Just not good sportsman ethics.

deersled

to me, the tree is his sanctuary (off limits). Once he hits the ground.....game on! calling, sneakin, bushwackin, ambushin, belly-crawling is ok by me. But, no, not off the limb!

nhancedsvt

Banned
I answered honestly... I don't know. Like pnome, this is my fifth season going after a bird. I've never been in that situation so I honestly don't know what I would do. I would like to think that I wouldn't (and I know that I shouldn't) but if it's the first one I see this season... he's in trouble probably. I wouldn't shot him off the roost but if I called him in and he flew up into a tree, my conscience is going to be working double time on that one!

Last edited:

silvestris

The gobbler who flies from his roost tree to my calling and lands in a tree within 35 yards from me is a called turkey and quite likely a dead turkey. I have never sneaked up under a roosted turkey and shot him, nor will I ever. It is usually a smart old gobbler who flies from his roost to another limb. I have only had it happen twice. Once I was unarmed and hunting with two kids, neither of whom could get a clear shot. The other time I didn't know the turkey was on a limb. I thought he was just over the rise as he would gobble facing me and then later gobble facing away from me giving the impression that he was walking the line back and forth. This went on for an hour and I didn't realize he was on a limb until he flew. It was a very exciting, but unfruitful hunt and one of my favorites.

J Gilbert

I voted no, I get to excited working a bird to do it, I'd rather take him under my own circumstances