Plot planting timing

bandit819

I usually time the planting of my plots with rain or when it cools off alittle usually last week of Sept first week of October. My membership decided that they wanted the plots planted the first week of Sept and no fertilizer:(. I advised against both but it is their money. We plant oats, wheat, crimson clover, ic peas, winter peas and purpletop turnips. We are in Dooly County. I told them I thought it was not wise to plant so early and that we realy did need fert but I would do what they wanted and I was not responsible for the outcome.:stir: I am frustrated as This is my 4 th year with this lease and have finally figured it out only to have it all changed.:banginghe Any input would be appreciated.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Tuff situation ....... planting that early, you stand the chance of army worms wiping out any of your cereals grains you plant and may have to replant. No soil tests, either?

Planting that early, assuming the cereal grains do germinate, with moisture, the clover won't germinate till the ground temps are in the low 60's, at which point, they would be covered up by the grains.

Fertilizer, at least some is always a given ..... the food you plant just transfers the minerals from the soil, into your herd. The healthier the plant, the more minerals (for bone and antler development) get transferred.

If you hunt those food plots, and have stands close, buy yourself a couple bags of fertilizer and spread it heavy on the food plots, near those stands ...... you may find more people wanting to hunt those stands a little later in the year. Might change their minds.

Once you go thru all the work of preparing the soil, buying the seed and planting, it sure seems like spending just a little more, to do it right, is in order. I guess I would cut back on the size of some of the plots and the amount of seed I would buy, to spend a little on the fertilizer, if money was the issue.

win280

I usually time the planting of my plots with rain or when it cools off alittle usually last week of Sept first week of October. My membership decided that they wanted the plots planted the first week of Sept and no fertilizer:(. I advised against both but it is their money. We plant oats, wheat, crimson clover, ic peas, winter peas and purpletop turnips. We are in Dooly County. I told them I thought it was not wise to plant so early and that we realy did need fert but I would do what they wanted and I was not responsible for the outcome.:stir: I am frustrated as This is my 4 th year with this lease and have finally figured it out only to have it all changed.:banginghe Any input would be appreciated.
I would ask how much the dues are and just pay the dues:stir:. They are not going to be happy with the results.
Last several years (talbot Co.) we took a chance and planted labor day weekend. I reseeded first week of oct because of great germination/burnt plants.. Had to many plots germinate only to die because of lack of moisture over the years.No need to waste money for a few weeks of no rain.JMO
We cannot control the weather,BUT we all should know that one of the dryest months is Sept.Hope it works out for you Bandit.

dick7.62

I had a similar situation in my last hunting club. I signed up for the Wings program because we had over 4 acres on a power line. The first year we planted after Sept. 15 and everything did fine. The next year the other members wanted to plant in late August and I said I would have no part in it as I had seen from experience that you have crop failure and have to replant. They planted in August by themselves. They had crop failure except for some reseeding crimson clover which came up late. My personal plots and others plots planted in late Sept.-early Oct. did fine. I planted early as an experiment several times, and have seen others do it and have seen very little survive due to the heat and drought. If your club is in Dooly county the odds are against you planting that early.
Once my son and I planted in early Sept. in N. Ga. because it was the only time he could do it. I held my breath but he got plenty of rain and it did well. I wouldn't plant that early in central Ga. Good luck.

drawedback

I don't like to plant that early but have before, however if i couldn't fertilize i would not waist the time and money to plant. I don't care what kind of seeds you use without fertilizer you wont have very good results.

ChristopherA.King

No fertilizer no planting just isn't worth the time you will be putting into it with out it.

Ihunt

You may be ok sometimes but your way is the right way. The fertilizer you may can do without. The rain you can not.

I would get everything tilled up and ready. Have everything ready and wait on the rain. When you know a rain event is coming,go plant. You may get it palnted mid Sept. or early Oct. but it will come up.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Dooly Co., first of September, no fertilizer? Sounds like a recipe for throwing money away.

Confederate_Jay

I would plant the area I hunt the correct way and let them go it alone.

MD746

I would plant the area I hunt the correct way and let them go it alone.

X2 on that idea.
I was in a club where each member had a food plot to plant and hunt. Everyone had their seed in the ground by labor day and by gun season they had the worst looking plot. I would always plant the first of Oct and had good success.