Meteorite found.

Hunt Em Up

I'm a geology student and can tell you a little bit about it. It will have to be tested though to make sure it is a meteorite. If it is. Its basically 4.6 billion years old, the same age as Earth. Its pieces left over from the big bang and land from time to time here on Earth. Congrats on your find and hope to hear what the experts say.

RUTTNBUCK

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'm a geology student and can tell you a little bit about it. It will have to be tested though to make sure it is a meteorite. If it is. Its basically 4.6 billion years old, the same age as Earth. Its pieces left over from the big bang and land from time to time here on Earth. Congrats on your find and hope to hear what the experts say.
Been watching this thread with interest!! I have 2 pieces I have found. Never put a magnet to either one. One is solid without any foreign material, slightly smaller than a Ping Pong ball..........Very heavy for it's size........smooth with some angular surfaces, black in color. The second one has black angular fragments that look like the first piece with fused sand attached to the bottom of it??..........any ideas??

gunsaler111

Banned
my buddy sold me a meteorite(landscaping rock) when i was 9.I gave 4 dollars for it.I carried it around for weeks till my pops broke the news.LOL

mauser64

So far so good. Have had somebody from the "meteorite association of georgia " give me some preliminary tests to perform that has told me what it ain't, including dino poop, hematite or slag. She is interested enough in it to want to meet and see it in person.

Who knows? Might be on to something!

Hunt Em Up

Been watching this thread with interest!! I have 2 pieces I have found. Never put a magnet to either one. One is solid without any foreign material, slightly smaller than a Ping Pong ball..........Very heavy for it's size........smooth with some angular surfaces, black in color. The second one has black angular fragments that look like the first piece with fused sand attached to the bottom of it??..........any ideas??

Take some pics...

BornToHuntAndFish

Be very careful & do not make any quick decisions, but become well informed as you can with your research on very uncommon, rare discoveries of meteorites. I've seen several news items about meteorite collectors that state these rocks usually have high iron content & like you did, a magnet is a good starting test point indicator of high metal content in them. One guy out west that uses metal detectors to find them keeps his in a big heavy duty safe. I do not know much about it, but several times I was shocked to hear on news reports that good sized meteorites can reach a million dollars in value, so keeping them in safe places like a safety deposit box in a bank is worth seriously considering. Most of these kind of rocks found on earth they said are usually very small. Good luck in whatever you do. If it is tested to be a real meteorite, you're definitely blessed from above.

Great topic guyz...yaw have answered some of my questions! I never thought about selling items like this!

opie44

My dad found one years ago while hunting. It was a little larger than a softball and also had a large iron content. He took it to the fernbank science center in Atlanta. They told him it was iron ore..not a meteorite...

BornToHuntAndFish

In case you did not see this . . .

$5 million metorite or "moon rock":

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100601/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_moon_rocks

Former Colorado governor had missing moon rock

Tue Jun 1, 4:34 pm ET

DENVER – A missing moon rock awarded to Colorado in 1974 has turned up in an ex-governor's house.

The lunar souvenir was given to former Gov. John Vanderhoof by the Nixon administration, which awarded bits of moon rubble to all 50 states and more than 130 foreign countries.

Vanderhoof is now 88 and living in Grand Junction. He has kept the rock on a plaque in his house and didn't think much of it until college students started looking for the moon rocks. On Tuesday a Denver television station called to ask if he had Colorado's.

Vanderhoof joked that he had offered the rock to museums, but no one was interested. Its estimated value is $5 million.

Another set of moon rocks awarded to Colorado was found in storage at the state history museum about a decade ago.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

DENVER (AP) — Colorado, we have a problem. The moon rocks are missing.

The rocks, given to the state, in 1974 are valued at $5 million on the black market and few even realized they existed until a college student began searching for them as part of an assignment.

Another set of moon rocks collected in 1969 was found in storage at the state history museum about a decade ago. They are now on display on the third floor of the state Capitol.

Neither the history museum nor the Denver Museum of Nature & Science has the second set of rocks and the governor's office doesn't know where they are.
___

Information from: The Denver Post, http://www.denverpost.com

AND

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Met...timated-at-45-billion-years-old-95222724.html

Meteorite found along Ore. road estimated at 4.5 billion years old

May 31, 2010

An extremely rare and pristine meteorite was found on the side of the road in Eastern Oregon and experts say it’s 4.5 billion years old.

Don Wesson found the rock 11 years ago in rural Morrow County and he is just learning about its rare qualities. It was just the fifth meteorite ever found in Oregon.

After watching a TV show about meteorites recently, Wesson brought his rock to the experts who had a big surprise for him. They said they believe the rock hit the earth between 200 and 800 years ago but it’s actually even older than that – by far.

“It's a piece of the asteroid belt, a leftover from the formation of the solar system, No two are quite alike,” Wesson explained, recalling what the experts had told him.

Wesson said he was thrilled to learn more about his rock but already has the amazing satisfaction of knowing he’s touched something from outer space.

Wesson donated some samples of the meteorite to Portland State University.