Buck Poll

Which one of these rut-related hunting techniques has given you the MOST success attr

• Rattling

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Decoys

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Estrus Scents

Votes: 26 15.8%
  • Grunt Calls

Votes: 55 33.3%
  • Fresh Tarsal Gland

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Mock Scraps

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • None of the above

Votes: 67 40.6%

• Total voters

Deerman

Which one of these rut-related hunting techniques has given you the MOST success attracting bucks?
If none of the above, explain

shdw633

Can call by Primos has worked best for me.

GTHunter007

I am assuming you mean to your stand.

I voted none of the above, but I could give it 50/50 between a loud grunt call and my natural snort wheeze I do with my mouth. Deer are such curious animals, a grunt loud enough can bring them in if for no other reason than to see what/who made the sound they heard. The CAN ranks just behind the grunt call.

If you had asked what brings in more mature bucks, I would hands down have said snort wheeze. The success I have had calling in out of range bucks and even more often blindly calling in bucks that forced me to make a decision rivals no other technique I have ever used. Absolutely deadly in the woods, a sound that any single buck out cruising for company, if he hears it, he will undoubtedly investigate. With either his nose or his eyes.

Deerman

I am assuming you mean to your stand.

I voted none of the above, but I could give it 50/50 between a loud grunt call and my natural snort wheeze I do with my mouth. Deer are such curious animals, a grunt loud enough can bring them in if for no other reason than to see what/who made the sound they heard. The CAN ranks just behind the grunt call.

If you had asked what brings in more mature bucks, I would hands down have said snort wheeze. The success I have had calling in out of range bucks and even more often blindly calling in bucks that forced me to make a decision rivals no other technique I have ever used. Absolutely deadly in the woods, a sound that any single buck out cruising for company, if he hears it, he will undoubtedly investigate. With either his nose or his eyes.

Yes I meant to your stand

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
NOTA.

What works for me is finding sign and getting on it.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The best thing I have found is to find a good travel funnel with fresh sign, and sit there and watch it. From downwind. And be quiet. And still. And patient.

tree cutter 08

Yep hillbilly said it right. Those few certain spots that you don't really have to scout. Bucks will use certain funnels almost every year. You be there when the time is right is number 1 in my book. A can call and good grunt call can help seal the deal.

GTHunter007

NOTA.

What works for me is finding sign and getting on it.

The best thing I have found is to find a good travel funnel with fresh sign, and sit there and watch it. From downwind. And be quiet. And still. And patient.

No doubt a good funnel makes for a good spot to hunt and is first and foremost, but deer are unpredictable creatures and often do not walk right through the "obvious" spots.

I used to only hunt spots too...then I decided I enjoyed killing mature deer on a regular basis and learned the language. I can hunt a 50 yard spot and call deer in that are 200 yards away...I enjoy the larger coverage area. I have yet to ever see a deer run from my grunt calls. Unless I grunted in his face and let/made him see me. So silence for me does not mean better. Instead of glimpses, I get way more closer looks. Kinda like it that way. :cool:

ted_BSR

I have sent big bucks running for the hills with grunt or bleat calls. The only times I use a call is if he is going the wrong direction and is out of range. The rut is an all bets are off time is season. The best medicine is to sit still and long.

Whiteeagle

Been hunting deer since the FIRST season in Georgia, never needed any of those things! Don't have to wear all that camo stuff either. Been deer hunting with primitive weapons so long that a MODERN weapon is TABOO! Like elf!!! and NCHILLBILLY, less is BEST!

flyrod444

Like said earlier, find sign and hunt it. If one knows where the doe's are likely to be using they don't need any thing else. Let nature bring the bucks to you. One other thing, if you shoot the doe's in your area it reduces the likely hood of mature bucks moving in you area.
Jack

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I voted grunt calls because I've killed a couple grunting them into an opening for a clean shot.

I've had more luck hunting food sources does were using. Rub lines leading to those areas are also good.

snookdoctor

That OBVIOUSLY will not work. There is not one marketable item in you list.:D:rofl:

RABJR

I learned how to rattle and rattled in a 4.5+ 215lb. 7pt buck this year, along with 6 other immature bucks that came running in and 2 immaure bucks that came investigating. I rattle with a shed with 5 pts, and a skull cap of an 8pt I shot. The most bucks I rattled in after one time of rattling was 3. Hey, it works for me.