Mistletoe State Park reviews?

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I take charcoal and a chimney charcoal lighter with me. I will place the chimney full of charcoal on my Coleman stove for about 10 minutes. Then I will take it off the stove for another 10 minutes until the coal on top are burning. Empty the coals into your fire pit and throw wood on top. This works great for wet wood.

Same method I use as well. Works great!

Oldstick

I have experienced the same problem with some of the firewood purchased at GA state parks. Was it in a mesh bag labeled "North GA Firewood Co." or something like that? It seemed to be good and dry, but it was almost like it was treated with some kind of flame reducing chemical.

It would eventually burn up if you maintained a good coal bed all night, but not flame up like normal dry seasoned hardwood does. Almost like it was buried in wet GA clay first then dried out.

cjones

I have experienced the same problem with some of the firewood purchased at GA state parks. Was it in a mesh bag labeled "North GA Firewood Co." or something like that? It seemed to be good and dry, but it was almost like it was treated with some kind of flame reducing chemical.

It would eventually burn up if you maintained a good coal bed all night, but not flame up like normal dry seasoned hardwood does. Almost like it was buried in wet GA clay first then dried out.

This came out of a small enclosed shed next to the camp host's site. I was trying to think if there were storms that went through that area this summer and that this firewood came from the park's storm cleanup, so it was still green. Dunno...

$5 for 6 sticks. My grandad was rolling over in his grave, I'm sure.

Oldstick

I've always hit the woods and gathered up my own

I usually try to also. If you bring your own they accuse you of importing beetles, if you gather on site they accuse you of harming the beetle habitat.

Artfuldodger

Destroying roach/beetle habitats for generations into the future...

:rofl:

I'm sure it all started with man building fires thousands of years ago. Fires that started the downfall of our environment. Cooking meat. Leading to our high cholesterol levels. Leading to our environment's high pollution levels.
Fire eventually lead to internal combustion engines which eventually lead to nuclear fusion.
Fire was also the path to heating and air conditioning which opened the door to refrigerants which helped destroy our atmosphere.
Also it lead the way to destroying our environment by excavating coal and drilling for oil.

The earth would have been a much better place without man gaining the ability to build fire.

The beetles? I'm sure that's our fault. The Beatles? Most definitely our fault. Came by the way of fire for distillation.

Artfuldodger

I am glad that someone had the foresight to save some land for public use, whoever that may have been.
I wish they could have saved more, like half the state of Georgia.