Abandoned Subdivisions

Chum

I've got permission to hunt one close to the house, but there are so many "uninvited guests" that I don't even bother. The deer there are just as spooky as on public land.

You're probably right. The two subdivisions I was thinking about are both right off a pretty busy roadway (Highway 17). More than likely it won't be worth the time or monetary investment to gain hunting privileges here.

Chum

suntrust owns alot of those chum

The two that I was curious about are Clark's Island (which is now owned by Montgomery Bank and Trust) and Middleton Plantation. Both are walking distance from my house and would be very convenient, but probably not worth the time. As I said before, just seems like a waste of space...

Mwaldrop

I have a two simikar situations now, First is the my familys old homestead. Dad sold it to a developer, he gave us and every other who asked permission to hunt it. Well he lost it to the bank and now we can't get permission form the bank. The lending bank has never even been in the county according to the developer. His words were "whos gonna catch you and whos gonna know any difference."

Second, a golf course that went belly-up. Talk about sweet hunting. Everybody in town rides the trails, other hunters, bon fires, etc etc. Well we know the past owners personally and the ones who closed shop. Asked for permission and he said "i cant grant it, but i can tell you I wont press charges on yall when they come to me."

It is a total waste of fine land in both situations. The golf course is big time land and beautiful creeks, hardwoods. the other is a small tract, but multiple hunting spots

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
The two that I was curious about are Clark's Island (which is now owned by Montgomery Bank and Trust) and Middleton Plantation. Both are walking distance from my house and would be very convenient, but probably not worth the time. As I said before, just seems like a waste of space...

That really makes it hard to resist.............dont know that I could:biggrin2:

iowa-boy

we use to use a "release of liability" contract when we obtained permission. you can check out office depot or any office supply place and they should have them. owners are more liable to let you hunt than not if you have this. we used them in Iowa to hunt private property. i am not guaranteeing it, but there's always that 1 time you will be able to hunt the property.

Stieet

Years ago we hunted quail along a bankrupt subdivision golf course. They had build the golf course before any houses were built. The bank hired my uncle to keep the course up. Pretty sweet walking the cart paths hunting the "rough".

Lukikus2

I grew up hunting small and large farmland in rural areas that were loaded with game because it was a natural enviroment to begin with, that is why it was settled as such.

That acreage is now shopping malls and apartments, or was 20 yrs ago. Full of snipe.

"Just don't shoot toward that woman's house over there with the tin roof"

good ol days

tgc

MAN, I'm sorry all of those yankee transplants decided not to move there. I know ya'll are too.:cheers:
We have PLENTY of them over here and we will be more than HAPPY to mention that you have lots of unused subdivisions.
I'm afraid (in fact I know) we have lost our paradise forever. :(

Chase4556

So how do you go about finding out information on who owns the land? Say I know of a spot of land behind an neighborhood. I call the Tax assessor, but I can't just tell him this piece of land over here, or is that exactly what you do? Explain where the land is, and he can look it up by proximity to where you are saying?

It would be sweet if they had some database that was linked to google earth, that way you just click on the bubble and boom it tells you. HAHA.