Does a deer live if it is gut shot?

kirby

If you shoot a deer with a arrow in the gut will they live or not. I have seen a few people say that the deer just calming walks away, but I don't know. Me and another guy at work have been talking about this. what do you think

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Yes they will live. Then they will most likely die a long, drawn out, miserable death if you don't hit any major blood supplies.

omenshooter3535

shot a doe in the gut and did what your saying and just trotted off 40 yards then started walking. we found her another 20 yards away about 45 min after i shot and she was bleeding pretty bad. waited an hour and found her 30 yards from that and was not moving but still breathing. put another arrow in her and it was over

scottf24

Yes they will live. Then they will most likely die a long, drawn out, miserable death if you don't hit any major blood supplies.

X2......this is why I am constantly shooting. I cannot stand the thought of this. I shot one a few years ago and it just refused to die......I almost gave up hunting.

turky93

If you shoot a deer with a arrow in the gut will they live or not. I have seen a few people say that the deer just calming walks away, but I don't know. Me and another guy at work have been talking about this. what do you think

That's always a fatal hit, but it takes a while for the deer to die, thus making your chances of finding the deer pretty slim.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
If they do not bleed out, infection will eventually kill them. Not a pretty way to go.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
If you stuck a knife in your gut(or say a broad head), it would be extremely painful for a long time...........with no medical attention, do you seriously think you would recover? No way.

Now, on the other hand, it would be possible to pass an arrow through your side and so long as it never touched any organs(Just fat tissue) you may survive a long life; so long as infection does not set in.

There really is no Perfect answer on this as we have all seen pictures of Deer that have arrows still in them, but seem to be doing ok.......I would say the chances would be about 98%Death from the wound.......2% No Death; No scientific study done, JMHO:p

JPK

If u do gut shoot one, get out for @ least 12 hrs. usually they will bed down within 100 yards of the hit. When u go back, be ready for a spot. If theyre not dead sometimes u can get close enough for a shot bc they are much weaker.
I gut shot one early in my 20's. Not a good feeling.

killa86

if you gut shoot one back out of where your hunting they should lay down pretty quick if you dont pursue come back 12-16 hours and you will typically find them done for.

the answer to your question on a true gut shot yes they will die it just takes some time

kirby

How would you know that it was just a gut shot and didn't just go right threw and not hit anything. Both would be clear and both would stink..

wcg2

If you stuck a knife in your gut(or say a broad head), it would be extremely painful for a long time...........with no medical attention, do you seriously think you would recover? No way.

Now, on the other hand, it would be possible to pass an arrow through your side and so long as it never touched any organs(Just fat tissue) you may survive a long life; so long as infection does not set in.

There really is no Perfect answer on this as we have all seen pictures of Deer that have arrows still in them, but seem to be doing ok.......I would say the chances would be about 98%Death from the wound.......2% No Death; No scientific study done, JMHO:p

What he said ! Why I do not bow hunt.

Apex Predator

A gut (paunch) shot is always fatal. I'm leaning towards a very high likelihood of death from any sharp broadhead entering the body cavity. The only way to put an arrow through the body cavity and "hit nothing but fat" is if you are shooting a worn out target point.

I do believe that a lot of shots thought to be in the chest cavity are actually over the spine, or glancing blows off of the shoulder blades (forward quartering), which cause nasty, mostly non-fatal, surface wounds.

Davexx1

If you have gut shot an animal, you have commited the animal to death. Do all you can to recover the animal and end its misery.

If you know it is a gut shot, it is usually best to not go right after the animal. Back out and leave as quietly as is possible and come back 8-10 hours or more later. The reason for this is a hurt animal, if not pursued, will not go far before laying down. If left alone the animal will die in that spot not far from where it was shot. If pursued before death, the animal will jump up and likely run a great distance, reducing the chances of you finding and recovering the animal.

Gut shots are fatal, but it can take up to 8-10 hours for death to occur so time your search accordingly.

A gut shot is a sad event in the life of a hunter. Practise, practise, and practise with your bow from a tree stand and only take close range broadside or slightly quatering away shots and you will be rewarded. If you take long range, low percentage, and risky shots, you will be disappointed.

Dave

turky93

How would you know that it was just a gut shot and didn't just go right threw and not hit anything. Both would be clear and both would stink..

You can't go through and not hit anything. If you hit the gut area, the deer will die. Plain and simple.

smoked_em!

when you pick up your arrow after a gut shot it will be a greenish color and smells like guts there is no mistake if you hit the septic tank! If you bow hunt long enough it will happen! Its a sick feeling the deer will slowly die probley in its bed. If you shoot one wait atleast three or four hours or more because if you dont you will push them for miles! wait and try to find water or great cover in the direction the deer went thats your best chance for recovery! walk slow and look ahead you might get a second shot if she hasnt expired!