Moose and Bou - Canada Style

huntfish

This hunt in Newfoundland was very special for me for a couple of reasons. 1) Dad and I have hunted across the country together, taking a multitude of different species and this was to be my dad's last major hunt. He's got MD and has been fighting cancer for the last 10 years and it's finally wearing him down on the walking but he doesn't quit, just slows down. 2) I was born in Newfoundland and haven't returned in 43 years. We both had a moose and woodland caribou tag each. Due to the coyote problem on the island, it is anticipated that this would be the last year for caribou hunting and this is the only location where a woodland caribou can be taken.

Getting to Newfoundland wasn't that difficult and took 2 plane rides (Toronto and Deerlake, NL). Canadian customs wasn't bad, but returning through US Customs was a pain in the butt.

While on the 2 hour ride to the staging area, this sign really picked up the hunting anticpation.

DSCF2505.jpg

Once at the staging area, we boarded our transportation to the camp. The copter ride was really fun. Hunting is only allowed Mon-Sat. Sunday is off limits till November in Newfoundland. Arriving at camp and talking to the folks leaving, the outlook didn't look good. Hot weather, no rut, very few caribou seen.

DSCF2511.jpg

Home for the next 7 days and some wonderful food. Fresh bread everyday and two square meals. Not spacious, but functional.

DSCF2514.jpg

Now for the hunt....Although originally planning on hunting with my dad, the guides recommended that we each go alone 1X1 due to each of us having 2 tags. Dad's OK with it so separately we go. My first day involved a 20 mile walk across some of the toughest terrain I've ever hunted, including Alaska. Tundra boggs, lakes, timber and elevation changes. Glad I got my legs in shape for this hunt cause I averaged about 15 miles a day. Here's a typical scene of the terrain.
DSCF2523.jpg

Without the caribou leads, some of the land could not be hunted due to the brush...
DSCF2595.jpg

First day out, we came accross some caribou but they were all does.
DSCF2528.jpg

Continuing the walk, we jumped 4 moose at about 100 yards-2 were bulls. Within 5 seconds, I put two 30.06 shells into the biggest bull and he collapses. Guide tells me that that was one of the largest bulls he's ever seen and congratulations. Well as luck would be, when we get to where he fell, there's about 5 gallons of blood but no moose. We ended up trailing him over 2 miles through some of the toughest terrain (think briar patches but instead with spruce and srub brush as thick as your arm). Ended jumping him up but he only offered me a view of his ears and above. At that point, he gave us the slip and it was getting dark. With plans to come back, we decided to go to camp. Upon arriving at camp, there was meat sacks hanging on the rack and Dad collected a nice specimen of a caribou.
DSCF2532.jpg

Next day was fogged in, so we had to wait a day to search. We went back and never did find him and I was not in a good mode. Two more days of hunting and no sightings of either caribou or moose. Temps stayed in the 60's and I actually hunted the whole week in the same gear I use for Georgia bow season except for the rain pants which stayed on all the time.

Thursday, guide and I decided to take a break and make a short hunt to recharge our legs. After a boat ride accross the lake, we came upon 4 caribou stags (bulls). Although caribou were sparce, guide talked me into not taking one. I agreed and it ended up being the best hunt that I have ever been on. When we came upon dad's caribou remains, there were two coyotes on it. I took down the ***** so all good. In fact, there is a government bounty on coyotes, $25 each. Continuing on our hunt, we came to a lake with a large rock for a rest.

DSCF2567.jpg

One moose call and this bull steps out at about 1.5 miles away.

DSCF2556.jpg

He starts bawling back at us, and makes a move down the hill. We stay put and the bull stops at the edge of the lake looking right at us. He stays in the same place for about 45 minutes staring at our location. During that time, a caribou cow appears and gets within 10 yards. Staying still, the cow takes a pee and continues on her walk. Thankfully the she didn't bolt cause this hunt would have been busted. The bull decides to walk along the shore and we make a break to a rock located adjacent to the lake. Bull reappears and stands on a point. I've got a solid rest, bull at ~250 yards but a shot could have resulted in him falling into the lake, not a good thing with an animal of 1000 pounds. We continue our wait. It was decided that if he moved to the bog flat, I would take the shot and we've figure our how to get there later. While watching him, a black bear steps out about 50 yards behind him. We watch him saunter about and then he leaves. Meanwhile the moose stays still. My guide makes a water walking call (electronic calls are legal) and the bull goes nuts and jumps into the lake for a swim towards us. It's hard to describe the excitement watching this bull swimming directly toward us. When he gets to land, we can't see him, but we can hear him shaking off the water. A couple of minutes later, he steps out giving me a high shoulder shot. One shot with my 30.06 180 Accubonds, and he goes directly down. Here's the result.

DSCF2561.jpg

Now remember this is a 1000 pound animal, so a little tip her. Make sure they don't fall in a hole. Made it very fun to quarter it out cause there was no way we could move it out of the hole. In fact, we had to cut down some vegetation to get the deal done. Here's a view.
DSCF2566.jpg

Thankfully, we had an Argo on this side of the lake so it really helped getting the meat out of the country. Still had to carry about 200 yards. Quarters deboned weighed about 125 pounds.

DSCF2577.jpg

Here's a picture of the shooting location. I was located on the rock to the right. Orange flagging indicates bull location. About 25 yards...
DSCF2580.jpg

Looks like a good hunt. I hunted NFLD 3 years ago, saw alot of bulls...all immature. Let them all go. My buddy took a dink bull. Its a great place if your a meat hunter. So much of the economy there depends on hunting, I'm concerned for the long term quality moose herd

Congrats on a nice bull and dad's 'bou

Hawken2222

Conradulations on a great trip. Newfoundland is definately on my to do list.

ForestNinja

Man that is a beautiful place!! Congrats!! Wouldn't mine living there except for maybe the winters.

holton27596

Great hunt. I love newfoundland, cant wait to go back myself. However, I drive and it makes the border crossing much easier each way, not to mention handling all the meat.

Jake Allen

Great story with pictures. Thanks for taking the time to share.
Sounds like a really good hunt and I am proud for your dad and his caribou as well as your moose. 2 cool animals, great trophies.

Hawken2222

Which outfitter did you end up using?

Rem 742

Great photos. Brings back memories. Me and my Dad hunted Newfoundland in 1981. Even had a moose in a hole just as you did.These are memories you'll be glad you made.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I hate that photobucket yanked the pic posting ability