This Had To Hurt!!!!!!!!!!

thomas gose

"Head shots with guns can have same effects..... just alot messier. I hope other inexperienced hunters learn from this."

"If it is real, I do hope it was an accident. My son and I just had this discussion about head/neck shots last weekend. There is just too much stuff in the head/neck that doesn't mean a thing - except ugly - to shoot there gun or bow."

"Head shots with guns can have same effects..... just alot messier. I hope other inexperienced hunters learn from this."

Gentlemen,

There is a reason why cows and pigs are shot between the eyes when ready to be butchered. There is a reason why chickens heads are cut off when they are ready to meet the colonel. That reason is because a head shot is the MOST EFFECTIVE shot placement there is period. No body wants to be blood trailing farm animals around the barn yard. Im not condoning shooting head shots with bows because arrows have no "ballistics", its straight in and straight out. What you see here can happen very rarely!
However NOBODY in there right mind should believe that more deer are lost due to slightly misplaced head and neck shots than heart shots.

Everything in the neck is vital! how about the Juggalar along with tons of other blood vessells? how about the Spinal column? how about the spinal cord? how about the wind pipe? Any of which when hit results in finding the deer where it was standing when the trigger was pulled.

As far as the head goes. I for one don't think this picture is real but it certainly can happen. However, the body simply cannot function without the brain!!!

I would bet all the money in the world that more deer are lost to slightly misplaced Heart and lung area shots than neck and head shots. How many times have I trailed deer for someone for miles finding stomach contents from where they shot two far back and never find the deer? Howmany times has someone sipmly not been able to find a deer after it ran 100 or so yards after a well placed shot due to lack of skill in blood trailing? this happens too many times to count.

When I pull the trigger the deer falls where it was standing whether I shot him in the neck or the head!!! In Fifteen years of hunting (since I started using a 22-250 and needed careful shot placement) i have never had a deer run or lost one. And thats ALOT of deer!

So don't call people who gun hunt and make neck or head shots irresponsible and inexperienced...

Bow hunters, maybe so, but thats only due to the fact that arrows don't expand like a hollow point. and I would still bet that for every deer shot in the head with a bow five are lost due to gut shots or bieng shot to low.

Good day.

I dissagree with you 100% a head shot is lethal but marginal!!! I killed a doe one year that had half of her head blown off from the top of her nose back. she was missing one eye and one ear and half her brain. the bullet hit her center of her eyes you could see its mold in the bone. The wound was old enough for infecton to have set in and even had maggots on it. there is alot more room for error with a head shot than the chest cavity full of ogans.

NG ALUM

Banned
There is an exception to every rule but I'll bet you'll find alot more deer walking around with three legs,scars, and old bullet holes in their shoulder, mid section, and hind quarters from missed vital shots than you will with misplaced neck and head shots.

I mean think about it..how many three legged deer and stuff like that do you see compared to one walking around with the top of his head missing. I have never seen one walking around missing the top half of his skull. Im not saying it doesn't happen Im just saying nobody can argue that it's a more effective shot.

If a properly placed heart shot is more effective than a properly placed head or neck shot then why do they run? why do you have to blood trail them??

I wonder how many deer go unfound that were hit well because of a lack of skill blood trailing. It's not uncommon for a deer to run 100 yards with a heart or lung shot. I find ALL of my deer where they were standing when I pulled the trigger. Thats effective.

We'll have to agree to disagree..

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten

"If it is real, I do hope it was an accident. My son and I just had this discussion about head/neck shots last weekend. There is just too much stuff in the head/neck that doesn't mean a thing - except ugly - to shoot there gun or bow."

Gentlemen,

There is a reason why cows and pigs are shot between the eyes when ready to be butchered. There is a reason why chickens heads are cut off when they are ready to meet the colonel. That reason is because a head shot is the MOST EFFECTIVE shot placement there is period. No body wants to be blood trailing farm animals around the barn yard. Im not condoning shooting head shots with bows because arrows have no "ballistics", its straight in and straight out. What you see here can happen very rarely!
However NOBODY in there right mind should believe that more deer are lost due to slightly misplaced head and neck shots than heart shots.

Everything in the neck is vital! how about the Juggalar along with tons of other blood vessells? how about the Spinal column? how about the spinal cord? how about the wind pipe? Any of which when hit results in finding the deer where it was standing when the trigger was pulled.

As far as the head goes. I for one don't think this picture is real but it certainly can happen. However, the body simply cannot function without the brain!!!

I would bet all the money in the world that more deer are lost to slightly misplaced Heart and lung area shots than neck and head shots. How many times have I trailed deer for someone for miles finding stomach contents from where they shot two far back and never find the deer? Howmany times has someone sipmly not been able to find a deer after it ran 100 or so yards after a well placed shot due to lack of skill in blood trailing? this happens too many times to count.

When I pull the trigger the deer falls where it was standing whether I shot him in the neck or the head!!! In Fifteen years of hunting (since I started using a 22-250 and needed careful shot placement) i have never had a deer run or lost one. And thats ALOT of deer!

So don't call people who gun hunt and make neck or head shots irresponsible and inexperienced...

Bow hunters, maybe so, but thats only due to the fact that arrows don't expand like a hollow point. and I would still bet that for every deer shot in the head with a bow five are lost due to gut shots or bieng shot to low.

Good day.

The ONLY REASON your misguided argument holds any water at all is that THANKFULLY shooters like you are few and far between this reducing the number of mutilated marginal hits on deer heads.

We have a responsibility to the animals we hunt....Take the highest percentage shot we can IN THE VITALS and exhaust ourselves in our efforts to recover said animals...Period....The End.

Bruz

NG ALUM

Banned
The ONLY REASON your misguided argument holds any water at all is that THANKFULLY shooters like you are few and far between this reducing the number of mutilated marginal hits on deer heads.

We have a responsibility to the animals we hunt....Take the highest percentage shot we can IN THE VITALS and exhaust ourselves in our efforts to recover said animals...Period....The End.

Bruz

your first statement is an assumption. I will be the first to admit I have no idea as to how many hunters shoot deer behind the shoulder vs. shooting in the neck or head. If you claim to know other wise I would like to know how. have you personally surveyed or seen a survey on where every hunter shoots his deer? Also, do they stick to this method 100%. You might be surprised with the survey results if there was one.

Because that statement is an assumption I have to discount it.

Reguarding your second paragraph, I agree we do owe it to those animals. Thats why a really high % of the animals I shoot never feel any pain when they die instantly.

Just to clear things up I really shoot very few deer in the head, I mostly shoot them in the neck. But IF I were a deer and knew I had to be shot I would pray that somebody put a bullett between my eyes just like a barnyard hog. There is a reason they do that.
It's humane!

jonjon528

Why not go ahead and start a poll on the head vs. vitals topic? I may be wrong, but would put my money on the vitals being the most popular target area. If this is the case, that would easily explain why there are so many more deer injuries related to these types of shots. I'm not chiming in because I'm against head shots. I'm simply against anyone who's not a very skilled marksman making those types of shots.

NG ALUM

Banned
It would be interesting to see...but It would also need to include the neck. Also, I'm no statistician but it wouldn't really prove anything. In a perfect statistics world you would also need to account for how many deer each type of hunter attempts to harvest. It could be that two neck shot hunters attempt to harvest more deer than fifteen vitals shot hunters. that would leave your results very skewed...or inconclusive, you have to account for all the variables to get a true idea.

pine nut

Two years ago last fall I was just outside of Pagosa Springs Colorado and not only saw but reported to a game warden there that there was a doe crossing into a subdivision from the forest that had an arrow sitcking from front to back or vise versa, i don't remember which. It was pitiful to see and many saw it. She was very much alive and doing pretty ok but the warden said about all we could do was hope she hung it in a fence and would break it and the pieces fall out. Still a sad sight to see. Like Nic said no one will ever know just what happened. Just about everyone misses sometime and sometimes you wish you had. I have done both.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Ahhhhhh.....a refreshing new topic from the past....

georgia_home

Jesus thread! Amen!

and yeah, they are tough!