Upson County

frankwright

Deer! What Deer?

We had six hunters in the woods this morning and no one saw or heard anything.

It was awfully warm and still. No breeze at all. A bunch of green acorns on the ground,probably from the wind. Lots of busted off tree tops.

smitty

Allen Road!

Got alot done this week with the great cooler weather we had before the rain set in,got 10 plots done and some more stands put into place.waiting on the crab apples and the acorns to start falling as well as the persimmons. :bounce: Only a few more plots to take care of anfd the work is done and play time begins :bounce: Alot of great sign out there early this year,some rubs as well as small scapes ahowing up.Did'nt plant alot of clover or chickory or rape this year,to many for sale signs popping up on various tracts of land we have for this season. ::huh: Don't look as if we will have 3000 acreas next year,2 pieces already for sale and surveiors out doing more :banginghe We will see the outcome,alot of work and effort and could be sold or leased away . :confused:

frankwright

Same here. We redid seven plots yesterday and made one new small one down on a gasline. We did not plant last year due to some last minute members not paying so we had Forestry come in and tear them up real good before we planted. We stayed simple also, Just wheat,oats,rye and clover.

A bunch of weyerhauser land around us has the gates open. I don't know what that means. I believe the same guys leased that land for years. I don't know if they still have a lease or not.
We are not seeing any deer. I found several good scrapes and lots of tracks in the road. Maybe the storms that tore down three of our big oaks has the deer spooked.

I have not been back to hunt,only work since opening week end but I will be there the very next decent day.

Sandman619

Just got back from weekend trip to camp. Several trees down but no damage to camp,hunted Sat. & Sun. saw several deer and killed a doe Sat. morning. My buddy saw a nice 8 pt. but did not have a good shot. May not get a chance to come back until muzzleloader season.

Lucky7

weyerhauser gate answer

i was in a large trophy club in upson last year, with weyerhauser owning the majority of the land. apparantly, weyerhauser decided to sell all their georgia timberland. at least thats what i have been hearing. anyway, they sold the land on our lease. we were able to sign a one-year lease with the new owners, but since i didnt know how much longer we would have the land, i got out of the club.

frankwright

I hunted wednesday and did not see a thing. Several scrapes and horned trees, a lot of tracks in the roads, on the trails and in the food plots but no deer seen.

I am starting to get bummed but am trying to remain positive. I really need to go shoot my muzzleloader sometime this week to be ready for saturday.

smitty

Upson Report

Hunted 4 days the past week,not alot of deer movement due to the very large moon :eek: Past on 4 different bucks (none 8 or better)and saw a nice one pass me right at dark,would not come to my crabapple tree ::huh: Plenty of green un ripe crabapples around and green acorns the deer aren't touching ::huh: Does are staying well out of range and so some work done and we had alot of rain that will take some time to dry up before I can plant the rest of my plots.Looks as if the acorns will be a while before they ripe as well as the persimmons,so I will keep the bow out until I fill at least one tag with it this year, ::;

J

J-Bomb

Same

I haven't seen much the last week-got a good look at a couple of nice does this afternoon, but they were out of bow range. Things seem to be picking up a little with the front coming through, though. It was awfully slow the last couple of times, like the woods were just about dead. This time, however, saw a bunch of birds and squirrels-even those does.
I had a cooper's hawk land in a tree not 10 feet from my head and make a strange sqawk/cluck sound at me a couple of times before flying off. That type of unusual thing is one of the best things about hunting. You just never know what you might see. All them urban types have no idea what type of cool stuff they are missing.