Chickasawhatchee... This will be interesting

stick_slinger

Will be my first time actually hunting public land. Spot I normally hunt basically got narrowed down to 1 hunt location due to others getting permission to hunt there so I figured I'd try public land out during the week when hopefully not too many people are out there.

Anyways, I'm going tomorrow to scout Chickasawhatchee and hope to find something other than snakes. Seems to be creeks and ponds all over the place so I'll be interested to see how much of this place is underwater later in the year.

Hear the hunting out here isn't too bad and at almost 20,000 acres I'm sure game is there for the taking. Just might have to walk a bit to get to it.

Any other Chickasaw hunters on here? If so, maybe we will see each other around.

bam_bam

Not only snakes but watch out for gators. And they got some world class cotton mouths on that place too. Finding a deer shouldn't be too hard.

stick_slinger

Not only snakes but watch out for gators. And they got some world class cotton mouths on that place too. Finding a deer shouldn't be too hard.

I was doing some looking around online last night and I did see where a guy ran across a gator on a hunt. I was looking for both of them today, luckily for me I saw neither and hope to keep it that way. A lot of the areas that I could see hold water at some point were dried up and that place is fairly thick in a lot of places especially when it comes to undergrowth.. I did find 2 spots that seem to have moderate use so hopefully they produce a deer or 2 and maybe a pig.

Need to get out and find hopefully about 4 more spots just in case I roll up and somebody else has beaten me to a spot. I'm not trying to argue with anybody about a hunting spot this year, although if I'm already 20ft up in my climber and somebody walks in on me I may not be able to avoid it.

Judge

It says your from Dooly County. You tried Flint River WMA? I have always seen lots of activity during bow season

stick_slinger

It says your from Dooly County. You tried Flint River WMA? I have always seen lots of activity during bow season

I just haven't changed it yet, I do live in Leesburg which isn't too far so that may be another option. Although its little close to game day to get sufficient scouting done. Will definitely check it out though.

Thank you.
CJ

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Every hole bigger than a #3 washtub will probably have a gator in it, and there are two types of rattlesnakes, some copperheads, and more cottonmouths than anywhere else in this world. Actually, if you look hard enough, you could find all 6 types of venomous snakes we have. Lot of deer, lot of hogs. I`ve always concentrated on hardwood flats off the creeks. There`s some good hunting in there.

Good luck.

stick_slinger

Every hole bigger than a #3 washtub will probably have a gator in it, and there are two types of rattlesnakes, some copperheads, and more cottonmouths than anywhere else in this world. Actually, if you look hard enough, you could find all 6 types of venomous snakes we have. Lot of deer, lot of hogs. I`ve always concentrated on hardwood flats off the creeks. There`s some good hunting in there.

Good luck.

I was actually going to PM you today as I was doing some searching and it seemed like you knew a pretty good bit about the place.. I LUCKILY did not run across any snakes and THANK GOD because I hate those jokers. I passed a creek and was gonna stop and get in there and scout but there was a truck parked and a guy was back in the woods so I kept driving. Although I did want to find a spot near water so I still found a Oak Bottom near this Creek that I think deer will be in for sure when Oaks start dropping. Although very close to it there is a dried up creek bottom that will certainly hold some water when we get some rain so hopefully I get use out of it earlier.

The undergrowth in a lot of areas is super thick and I didn't have my snake chaps (they are about 45 min away) with me so I only walked in spots where it seems to thin out a bit which lead to me finding some Oaks that with game trails nearby.

I was there this past weekend. Surprised at the lack of water. A little stream in the main creek, with some wet pockets here and there. It's not just the moccasins but the timber rattlers you better watch for.

stick_slinger

I was there this past weekend. Surprised at the lack of water. A little stream in the main creek, with some wet pockets here and there. It's not just the moccasins but the timber rattlers you better watch for.

Yeah there isn't much water at all. The creek in the back is more or less a little water hole. The rest of it is a "mud stream", I did run into a cotton mouth in a palmetto thicket and stepped over a snake on the way out. Got caught about 3/4 of mile back in a DOWNPOUR.

3 gators in the creek and jumped about 10 hogs off the road on a road on my way out.

diamondback

Make sure you check the dates for the hunts. It is not open then whole season for deer. Most gun hunts are quota or adult child. Archery and pw are open and the last week or 2 for archery are open. Saw one guy last year posting pics on fb of a deer he killed when it wasn't open. Probably did not end well for him.

stick_slinger

Make sure you check the dates for the hunts. It is not open then whole season for deer. Most gun hunts are quota or adult child. Archery and pw are open and the last week or 2 for archery are open. Saw one guy last year posting pics on fb of a deer he killed when it wasn't open. Probably did not end well for him.

Haha yeah I got the dates somewheres. It only runs through about the 2nd week or so into October for Archery. Hopefully I can put some horns down before then. Was a little short for time on scouting so if I can put down a hog and 2 doe in that time period I'll be pretty dang happy.

Big7

The Oracle

Been there one time.

BUGS.. BIG TIME.. 100*f at least and while the fellers'
kept hunting me and one of my friends 13 y/o son
found a few fish kills. Racked up on small catfish
with a quick rig dip net, seen the only wild otter pair I have ever seen.

Snakes and gators were everywhere.

From here, it's a LONG drive.

If I ever go back (prolly not) it will be dead of winter.

Not a fun trip.

Hope you do better than I did. :D

stick_slinger

Been there one time.

BUGS.. BIG TIME.. 100*f at least and while the fellers'
kept hunting me and one of my friends 13 y/o son
found a few fish kills. Racked up on small catfish
with a quick rig dip net, seen the only wild otter pair I have ever seen.

Snakes and gators were everywhere.

From here, it's a LONG drive.

If I ever go back (prolly not) it will be dead of winter.

Not a fun trip.

Hope you do better than I did. :D

There are quite a bit of bugs (biggest Spiders I've ever seen) out there and if you're near the creek you can about guarantee you will run across a snake... Saw about 10 hogs on my way out last time. Found a few spots that will have plenty of oaks dropping and deer and hog should definitely show up.

A place you definitely need to be cautious at during those 5 AM walk ins when its pitch black outside.

I was a little short on scouting time but I don't think I will have a problem getting on a deer or 2 this year.

diamondback

Be on the look out for crab apples and persimmons. They will be on them until the acorns start falling. Then look out for the oaks with the big acorns. Swamp oak or swamp chestnut I believe ,but nick knows for sure. Acorns are about 3 times the size of white oaks and the bark looks like a white oak. Sometimes they start falling at the end of archery and if you find them ,they are magnets . I usually hear the acorns falling and then find the tree.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yea, DB, those are swamp chestnut oaks. They`re a member of the white oak family and deer love em better`n candy.

You gentlemen hunting in there this year, be careful, and good luck. :cheers:

stick_slinger

Yea, DB, those are swamp chestnut oaks. They`re a member of the white oak family and deer love em better`n candy.

You gentlemen hunting in there this year, be careful, and good luck. :cheers:

We will see how much this rain from Irma fills it up out there.

Nic I saw about 10 hogs leaving that spot you were telling me about on the way out in the middle of the road. Tons of sign back in there. Tracks from everything back in there. Found a cottonmouth back in there too lol.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
How messy are the roads around that place

Blackston

I got picked this year Tell me what ya know

GAMHUNTER35

yea I will be there for the 1st hunt swamps hav dried up some plenty of skitters dnr has put a lot of rocks down on some roads going to try an do some scouting in the next couple of weeks