Google Earth

Cumberlandjg

I use Google Earth a lot to do research on fishing spots and planning trips, I know the clearer the water the easier it is to see underwater structure, but was curious as to what everyone else looks for when looking on Google Earth and depending on the tides during the imagery what you look for.

Scallen2112

Luckily, google earth took the images in my fishing grounds at a very low tide, so a lot of stuff is exposed. I'm usually looking for a couple of things: Shell beds on flats that will normally be under water through at least the top half of the tide for redfish and trout, and sandy shore near a small drop for flounder (we have a lot of mud, so they sometime key to the harder bottom.)

I had this thread back in August discussing using Earth, Bing and others:

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=904572&highlight=

Cumberlandjg

What about around docks do you look for anything in particular? Oyster bed + a dock is prob a good indicator I’m sure.

Big7

The Oracle
Color. That's what you look for.

Don't matter how close in or how far out.

Really a better tool in the bag for saltwater than
freshwater though. IMO.

Freshwater topo maps are your friend.

trippcasey

Google has a lot of river and creek name issues. Fancy Bluff Creek is the name for every creek in our area on Google Maps (Brunswick and south)

Scallen2112

Google has a lot of river and creek name issues. Fancy Bluff Creek is the name for every creek in our area on Google Maps (Brunswick and south)

I noticed that. Then I actually crossed a bridge - over on Hwy 17 I think - that said Fancy Bluff Creek, so there actually is one out there. I don't pay attention to the names anyway, just how to get there from what launch.