Opinions and pointers needed

gordylew

I'm hunting a farm that has had cattle on the pastures for 20 years. The place has gone to fallow fields with all beneficial plants eaten away. Johnson grass and thistle is a majority of what's left with some leafy cabbage looking plant. The cows are gone so I'm free to plant some plots. I went down last week and bush hogged several acre sized areas. what would be the easiest and economical ways to get something growing. I have a disk harrow with escaloped disks, an ancient spring-toothed harrow, a box scraper with scarifiers and a chain fence drag to use. I plan on getting a soil sample to get an idea of how much lime and fertilizer I'll need next.

What would your sequence of attack be and what would you plant for deer and turkeys. on the cheap.

Thanks

Triple C

If your plots will be about an acre or so in size I'd prolly do the following:
- Get soil test done ASAP and lime according to soil test ASAP.
- Bush hog about 3 times between now and the middle of August.
- Spray gly within a week of last bush hog and let completely die down.
- Spray again early Sept to get what you missed on 1st application of gly.
- Once everything is completely dead you'll be ready to harrow, fertilize and plant. Dead matter is much easier to turn into the soil.
- On an acre or less, I'd plant perennial clover and overseed with winter wheat or oats as a nurse crop for your clover. Deer will hammer the wheat or oats and the following Spring you'll have clover that will feed deer n turkeys pretty much year round. Personally, I don't plant summer plots any more. Well maintained clover will keep em fed for pretty much all summer. Just my .02 cents worth.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
What Triple C said......except I would pay the forestry service to come in an plow the first time. The johnson grass will be the biggest issue to overcome. It has deep roots.
Also depending on size of the plot you might want to let Woodbury Fert. or Cedar rock spread the lime.Depending on the size of your tractor you might check into a no till drill also. You can rent them.