Ladder Stand Challenges (final pics included!)

gadeerwoman

Yep, I'll shove right in line when it comes to making my life easier on setting up darn stands!:biggrin2: Age does have some advantages doesn't it?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Yep, I'll shove right in line when it comes to making my life easier on setting up darn stands!:biggrin2: Age does have some advantages doesn't it?

Yes it does Sandra. You and Lee are both older than me.
But the line forms behind me. ;)

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Jim, I got cash money whenever you are ready.

I'm just sayin'........:bounce:

Anytime you're ready Jim. This money is about to burn a hole in my pocket. I know you would hate to be responsible for a China Syndrome event. Don't be selfish. Think of all those starving children in China our parents told us about.:bounce:

cself

Jim I don't know you but I have had a similar situation with an invention of my own and didn't follow through. Elfiii beat me to it but I was going to suggest "crowd funding" I think that is what my generation is calling it. I would be willing to send some money to help a fellow outdoorsman I can't offer much but it could add up quickly if others will join in. There are even websites dedicated to that sort of thing but I'm not sure how they work or how much information about the product would be required. Something to look into. Good luck!!!!

Rich M

Jim - if you draw up plans for the device you may be able to copyright it while doing the patent.

If the idea is any good - a big company will likely buy it off you.

Jim Boyd

Elfii -

Man, you are killing me with guilt! I know deer season preparations loom in earnest right after turkey season and folks are gonna want to start moving and serring stands.

CSelf -

Money is not the real problem... I am probably only about $1k into the whole project so far. That may sound like a lot for two prototypes but I had some design / redesign growing pains and test / retest processes.

I am modifying an already heavy Millenium stand now and hope to complete it this weekend. This will give me yet one more test of the device and will easily be the tallest and heaviest stand so far to work with.

Rich,

I gotta admit I am stuck on the copyright / patent process. I have an agreement with a model to demo the device via video... she is very pretty (which can’t hurt) and is also petite. She has never erected a deer stand in her life and if I can show her putting one up - it would be apparent that almost anyone could. I have no plans to reveal the actual device in the video, just to show a time line of her laying out the stand and then the final result.

I will then share it with the tree stand manufacturers and try to generate some interest that I was not able to generate with an email.

If that does not work, I am just going to build and sell them myself. My time is limited however and I too want to turkey hunt, plant food plots, move stands etc!!!!

More to come folks.... I promise. Maybe as early as this weekend.

Thanks !

Jim

one hogman

I have put up 17 footers by myself, I am 65 and not the man I used to be, it really helps to have an ATV if poss, If there is a limb you can throw a rope over attach it to the back of the top part of the ladder, tie one rope longer than the ladder to each side of the ladder stand at the top of the back side, If there is no limb you gonna need a lightweight ext ladder to attach a pulley and rope up top for your pull rope,
Pull the stand up, then pull the two ropes crisscrossed across the back side of the tree, tie them off at the bottom of the stand,this will help hold the ladder to the tree, place your ladder brace support against the tree fasten it in with a ratchet strap, climb and secure your ladder, I have done this many times by myself.

Jim Boyd

Hogman - we are way past all of these possibilities.

I want light, portable and hand held.

This has been covered 3-4 times in this thread.

I also want the light and portable to put up 20-25’ stands with minimal strength needed.

Thanks

Silent Assassin

Ya'll quit talking to Jim so much so he can get this thing going. He has spent at least 15 minutes on this thread alone and we need to have him finish this thing, build 20 of them, and sell them to the highest bidders to fund the next batch:cheers:

one hogman

Hogman - we are way past all of these possibilities.

I want light, portable and hand held.

This has been covered 3-4 times in this thread.

I also want the light and portable to put up 20-25’ stands with minimal strength needed.

Thanks

Light sounds good but it has to be strong enough to do the job, I wanna see what you come up with:)

Jim Boyd

Yessir, Hogman - I understand.

I have two prototypes built and am going to donate one to our CMHC club (SC) and allow all members to use it.

Taking it down to the club this weekend and leaving it there.

My buddy and I tried to stand up a fairly tall 2 man stand with a roof on it this past Saturday. I stood at the base to anchor it and he was going to “walk” the stand up. It was VERY apparent the stand was going to bow and bend/break in the middle due to the weight of the upper section and to the fact that we had added a section of ladder that took it “up” another 4’.

We were forced to leave it laying where it was.

Wife and I are going down this weekend and I am convinced I can use my device, erect the stand, get it secured to the tree and exert minimal effort - with no damage to the stand.

I will not need a truck, ATV, extension ladder, etc.

This will be yet another good, real world test of the device.

This one is prototype # 1 and does not have a few improvements that # 2 has but it will work.

I will report back!

limestone

I have a divice I made to put up ladder stands with no help. Works great. Very portable, nothing else needed and very simple. Hardest part is getting stand to the location you want. Did not think much of it. Just something I needed. Did not think much about market value. May need to rethink that. Probably more out there just nobody talking.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Elfii -

Man, you are killing me with guilt! I know deer season preparations loom in earnest right after turkey season and folks are gonna want to start moving and serring stands.

Thanks !

Jim

Still twisting in the wind here Jim. I'm gettin' older by the day. Whenever you're ready. Hurry. I need some relief! :bounce:

Gumpbuck

Lol!! I'm twisting too. :)
Got two 20 footers that need lifting...
Congrats to you ahead of time Jim! I'm sure something will come out of all this hard work.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Lots of us “field testers” on tap and the manufacturer is resistant to use us :biggrin2:

Jim Boyd

We did our first “real world” test this weekend out at CMHC - using prototype # 1.

We put up a 20’ ladder in some pretty heavy woods and it was nice to be able to control and raise the stand in spite of the fact that it hit and got semi tangled in some small branches that we did not think were gonna be in the way. If you were lifting the stand by hand, I fear you would have had to lower the stand back down, use a pole saw to cut the branches and then go back and attempt to walk the stand back up.

This is EXACTLY what happened to me in Illinois last November and I did not get the stand up correctly until the third try - my back was killing me, I was mad as a hornet - that is the exact moment I decided there had to be a better way to put ladder stands up.

The second one we elevated was not as tall but it was a double ladder stand that has a semi-house built on it and has a roof attached. We tried to walk that one up a few weeks ago and it was clear the ladder was going to bend and break before the stand would go up. Using the device, we lifted it right up with no problem.

I will say that it is better when u have someone to help prevent the ladder from swaying left and right, particularly the taller ones.

We have several more stands to lift, one of which is a modified 21’ Millenium that is very heavy - more reports to come as we get that one done. I will weigh it before we lift it up but I am pretty sure it is 175-200 lbs - it is very heavy.

Thanks!

rbureau

Haven't been here in a while, just read through the entire thread.

I'm standing on my toenails waiting to hear when Jim starts taking orders for production..

one hogman

We did our first “real world” test this weekend out at CMHC - using prototype # 1.

We put up a 20’ ladder in some pretty heavy woods and it was nice to be able to control and raise the stand in spite of the fact that it hit and got semi tangled in some small branches that we did not think were gonna be in the way. If you were lifting the stand by hand, I fear you would have had to lower the stand back down, use a pole saw to cut the branches and then go back and attempt to walk the stand back up.

This is EXACTLY what happened to me in Illinois last November and I did not get the stand up correctly until the third try - my back was killing me, I was mad as a hornet - that is the exact moment I decided there had to be a better way to put ladder stands up.

The second one we elevated was not as tall but it was a double ladder stand that has a semi-house built on it and has a roof attached. We tried to walk that one up a few weeks ago and it was clear the ladder was going to bend and break before the stand would go up. Using the device, we lifted it right up with no problem.

I will say that it is better when u have someone to help prevent the ladder from swaying left and right, particularly the taller ones.

We have several more stands to lift, one of which is a modified 21’ Millenium that is very heavy - more reports to come as we get that one done. I will weigh it before we lift it up but I am pretty sure it is 175-200 lbs - it is very heavy.

Thanks!

Pics:huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh: :)