Do you own a compass?

Do you own a compass?

• Yes, I own a compass.

Votes: 210 86.4%
  • No, I do not own a compass.

Votes: 33 13.6%

• Total voters

RJFortune

A good compass and a topo map are better than any GPS if you know what you're doing.

Cursed all the land nav in the service but find it invaluable now.

Doyle

I have a cheap dome-style compass/whistle combo in my backpack. It isn't accurate enough for orienteering but it has helped me find my way out of a swamp. I like the whistle idea too in case I was injured and had to wait for rescue.

howl

Banned
I thought having one and being able to use it with a map was asking a little much. I suspect folks that don't have one didn't bother with this thread.

Whiteeagle

Have @, keep one on my 4 wheeler for S&R. Also have @ gps units, one is an E-trex. Can't leave home without em!

cotton top

problem with watch guidance system, The sun isn't out when I get [turned around] LOL

shadow2

Sure do more than one and i even know how to use it with a map

I only use a gps to confirm. I do not rely on a gps for my primary navigation even in my truck. There is no sub to a good map and compass.

ASH556

Yes sir, I own a compass; several actually. I'm an Eagle Scout and I value highly the outdoor skills I learned including orienteering. As far as I'm concerned, a GPS could never fully replace a good compass and map. I don't even own a GPS.

BowArrow

My watch has a digital compass plus I also carry a small magnetic compass in my fanny pack. I get a reading on my digital compass before I leave my Jeep and it holds this setting. I don't have to remember settings. The battery on my watch gave out on me the opening morning of the Ossabaw archery hunt and I went to my backup magnetic compass.

Big7

The Oracle
Yes I do! I have one on my phone as well.

Not touching that one. :bounce:

I have a few.

From cheap wrist and pocket versions
all the way to really good "carry" versions.

Best one I ever had was on my old bass boat.
Average folks couldn't afford GPS when that boat was built.

Compass always works. GPS and foneGPS may or may not.

My Dad was a lifer in the Military.

I could read a compass easy in 3'rd grade. ;)

tree cutter 08

I guess I'm one of the few that don't have one. I guess if I hunted flatland they would be handy. I've never felt the need to have one here in the mountains. I've got a GPS on my phone but it doesn't work very good without a signal so I don't rely on it.

red neck richie

Do you consider a compass app a true compass? If yes than I have one. Only time I got lost in the woods I followed a dogs bark to find my way out. I didn't even use a compass. But I would not disagree it is a useful tool.

Swamprat

Swamprat
If anybody is gonna use a compass app I would suggest just using google maps.

Shows your position and turn on the satellite overlay and you got a good idea how everything lays out and where you need to go.

whitetailfreak

I've got one on me, but I couldn't tell you the last time I used it. I'm purdy familiar with my neck of the hills.

Timberman

I made a living with one for years. I carry one in the big woods. It’s my security blanket

Rich M

I even use it!

We often use the pin on bubble compasses when hunting thick cover - helps keep me an track.