What does Indiana have against the .270?

biggdogg

Are you going to tell me you can shoot as far with buckshot as a .30-06 rifle loaded with 150 grain spitzers?

You're not using buckshot in the midwest states...

cam88

So last year at the last min they changed the rules to where you could use the following calibers;

Rifle cartridges that are legal under this new law (HEA 1415) include, but are not limited to, the following:

6mm-06
6mm BR Remington
6mm PPC
6mm Remington
.240 Weatherby
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester Super Short Magnum
.25 Remington
.25-06 Remington
.270 Winchester
.30 Carbine
.30 Herrett
.30 Remington AR
.30-06 Springfield
.30-30 Winchester
.30-40 Krag
.300 AAC Blackout (.300 Whisper)
.300 H &H Magnum
.300 Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum
.300 Savage
.300 Weatherby Magnum
.300 Winchester Magnum
.300 Winchester Short Magnum
.300 Remington Ultra Magnum
.303 British
.307 Winchester
.308 Marlin
.308 Winchester
.32 Winchester SL
.35 Remington
.38-55 Winchester
.444 Marlin
.45-70 Government
6.5 Creedmoor
6.8 SPC
7.62x39mm
7.62x54mmR

PappyHoel

But I thought the 2nd amendment was about hunting? Lol 6.5 creedmore but no 270 :rofl:

Chadro

So last year at the last min they changed the rules to where you could use the following calibers;

Rifle cartridges that are legal under this new law (HEA 1415) include, but are not limited to, the following:

6mm-06
6mm BR Remington
6mm PPC
6mm Remington
.240 Weatherby
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester Super Short Magnum
.25 Remington
.25-06 Remington
.270 Winchester
.30 Carbine
.30 Herrett
.30 Remington AR
.30-06 Springfield
.30-30 Winchester
.30-40 Krag
.300 AAC Blackout (.300 Whisper)
.300 H &H Magnum
.300 Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum
.300 Savage
.300 Weatherby Magnum
.300 Winchester Magnum
.300 Winchester Short Magnum
.300 Remington Ultra Magnum
.303 British
.307 Winchester
.308 Marlin
.308 Winchester
.32 Winchester SL
.35 Remington
.38-55 Winchester
.444 Marlin
.45-70 Government
6.5 Creedmoor
6.8 SPC
7.62x39mm
7.62x54mmR

Yeah but, it will probably remain a private land only thing. If you come up to hunt public land you better still bring your slug gun, muzzleloader or a rifle that fires pistol caliber rounds.

It actually may get axed all together, not much effort is being put into it.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Yeah but, it will probably remain a private land only thing. If you come up to hunt public land you better still bring your slug gun, muzzleloader or a rifle that fires pistol caliber rounds.

It actually may get axed all together, not much effort is being put into it.

Can one use a pistol that fires those same cartridges that are legal in a rifle?

Chadro

Can one use a pistol that fires those same cartridges that are legal in a rifle?

I’m fairly certain you can but, there are some barrel/length requirements and some more caliber restrictions. Almost everybody just uses a shotgun or muzzleloader so it isn’t all that common as far as I can tell.

This is an interesting question. I've only hunted deer in Indiana one time in 2010 or 11. I used a rifle in .44 mag and my Buddy who invited me to join him was using a handgun in.350RM. Yes, THAT.350RM as in the ballistic twin of the .35 Whelen.

It was a factory built gun by BFR(?) and it was topped with a 4X scope made by Leupold. IIRC, he shot warm handload using the 200gr Core-Lokt. He only shot it off a tripod with the barrel "strapped" in place and with muzzle brake installed. He was warned at purchase to never fire it without the brake as it could result in significant injury to his wrist.

So, at least several years ago, you could shoot a handgun chambered in a rifle cartridge, but could not fire it in a rifle. I cannot recall the caliber "restrictions" on handguns, but it seems like they had to be at least .35cal(?).

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Who cares what Indiana does?

Well I live here, so I care just a bit.

Maybe the hordes of southerners that swamp the Midwest during deer season?
And these folks, many of them care.

btw, the fine folks of indiana are all up in arms about how rifles will kill their population after the changes over the last year or so. Just like GA folks complained about the crossbow hunters and the baiters. It never changes, no matter where you are:cheers:

ProAngler

the .270 was a death ray brought to earth by aliens and given to Jack O'Connor to wipe out all game species in North America.

That is what I am guessing the Indiana state legislature was told based on how much sense the regulation makes. After listening to some of the commentary from GA lawmakers on the baiting debate, this is about the level of understanding I assuming state government has when it comes to game and fish.

8pointduck

the .270 was a death ray brought to earth by aliens and given to Jack O'Connor to wipe out all game species in North America.

That is what I am guessing the Indiana state legislature was told based on how much sense the regulation makes. After listening to some of the commentary from GA lawmakers on the baiting debate, this is about the level of understanding I assuming state government has when it comes to game and fish.

:rofl: