Baitcasting Reels

IKfish

I’m looking for a new baitcasting reel online, hoping that some of experienced fisherman would give more info on what to look for when buying a baitcaster.
What’s your favorite baitcaster and what makes them the perfect beyond your reel arsenal. Thanks.

TripleXBullies

I love my shimano Curado 70s and the new K. They are the smoothest casting reels I've ever used. They cost $150-$180 so they aren't the cheapest but I plan to keep using them for the next 20 years or so.

I think if I wasn't fishing so many tournaments I'd try out KastKing. I've heard decent reviews and they are much cheaper.

Rockytop

GONetwork Senator District 28
LEWS are the best baitcasters for the money hands down. I own 8 of them 4-5 different models and all are great reels.

Only the round reel series for Abu is made in Sweden. So keep that in mind. Their low profile reels are outsourced to Korea with the blackmax and silvermax reeld being outsourced to China. The diawa lineup has a more durable and more even braking system which I dont find as important as some do for bass fishing. Salmon fishing ornother 20 plus lb fighting fish is a different story. For bass I prefer Shimano. I use primarily discontinued Cores which is raved as one of the best reels ever made. The only reel close to it in the modern line up with be the Chonarch MLG but it doesnt have a metal body so the jury is still out on longevity. I personally dont like the Antares their flagship reel because it feels gearing in your handa due to the gear material choice. The Chonarch MLG has a smoother, longer cast and retreive in my experience. A more budget friendly option is the Diawa Tatula whoch can be jad new on ebay for roughly 120 to 150 dollars. I personally dont like Lews. Purely personal preference for palming the reel and balancing. I am also not a fan of 13fishing. For the price tag most of 13s reels feel very unrefined with play in the handles, spool and braking issues with their bulldog drag system seizing up with continious use.

Bream Pole

a stainless steel Shakespeare President made between 1947-1953.
That said I'm not fishing big water, but ox bow lakes, on rare occasion a farm pond and casting Altamaha River bank. Short casts using a Shakespeare Wonderod circa 1960's 5' - 5'8"--I have several of these reels and rods.

jeremyledford

Curado K all the way. The nice quantum’s are smoother out of the box but in a year the shimano is way smoother. If you’re ever going to fish in the salt inshore definitely get the shimano.

Tigerbass

Daiwa Tatulas get rave reviews for a reasonably priced reel. The SV spool version has lot of "control" and performance. The Shimano Chronarch MGL and Metanium MGL are great reels also.

Spook

Agreed on old ABU, I still have 3 Ultra Mags

Use them some, opt for Shimano 50g, 70g and 200 series. Great reels. Mark

scottpriest

I love my Abu Revo's. No complaints from them. They have held up well, cast smooth and done everything I have needed from them. I also love the profile of the reel in my hand. That being said, I got a Lew's Mach II combo for Christmas as well as fished with a Lew's on a guide trip last year. I am thoroughly impressed with Lew's and will be adding more. they are so smooth and amazing casting reels.

Papa Bear

While I have used mostly Shimano Curados and Abu Garcia reels for the past 15 yrs. Decided to try a Kastking Royal for under $40.00. Wow 12 BB and 17lb drag and super smooth. I had seen all the youtube videos and thought I would give it a try. Time will tell but it is best casting reel in my arsenal right now.

Bream Pole

All my reels other than the vintage shakspeares are Garcia's beginning with the original red ambassadors. I have never had a problem with the Garcia's.

striper sniper

Looking for reels is wosre than looking for a car lol. I'm pretty new to bass fishing and have 2 lews now, both under $100. I have been looking online at reviews etc and golly it gets confusing. Look at 5 different sites and get 5 different answers. The top pick on one site will be down the list on another lol. I want to try a lews bb1 or tourney pro but there are a few shimano and Diawas that keep coming up as good reels. I've had good service out of this last lews as I abuse it and leave it in the back of my truck and kinda want to stick with lews but trying new stuff is fun too.

oops1

Buzzard Expert
While I have used mostly Shimano Curados and Abu Garcia reels for the past 15 yrs. Decided to try a Kastking Royal for under $40.00. Wow 12 BB and 17lb drag and super smooth. I had seen all the youtube videos and thought I would give it a try. Time will tell but it is best casting reel in my arsenal right now.

Good to know.. I've seen them on Amazon and wondered how their saltwater reels worked.

Teh Wicked

Purchased a Abu Garcia Revo X last week at the Bass Pro sale, more than satisfied with that reel. Smooth as butter, casts a mile, adjustments are crazy easy, the brakes have a nice dial with auditable clicks. And the spool tension also has detents that make auditable clicks for adjustment. Would recommend...

I purchased this reel because I plan on topwater casting to Striper, this reel has 18lbs of drag capable and it was a left hand retrieve which is how I fish them.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member

I've been putting a couple Kast King's through the test since last summer on stripers. I've yet to have a failure and they have been used hard. They've held up to fish up to 34 lbs. I'll definitely be purchasing more. I've been using their spinning reels in saltwater for a couple years without a hitch also.

jocko755

I also would recommend Curados. They have the centrafrugal 6 pin braking system. It is far more superior then magnetic brakes IMO.

I've used Shimano, (Curados, Citcas, Castaics, and Calais) reels for more than 20 years with no issues. They are great reels.