For those of you who use fletch tape

Al33

I have been using fletch tape to build my arrows for years now and have always added a drop of super glue to the ends of the fletchings as many of you do also I am sure. Well, I accidentally discovered something better and much easier than using the super glue. Last night after fletching up a few arrows I grabbed a tube of thin super glue to secure the ends but as often happens the tube had dried up. Just so happens I had a small bottle of "Hard as Nails" fingernail polish setting out on my work desk which I use for a final coat to make realistic looking eyes in my carvings. Wanted to explain that before some of you jumped to conclusions. :D Anyhoo, I applied the polish with the tiny brush and it was so clean, quick, and easy. No runs!!! Maybe your bride already has some you can use but if not get a bottle and try it you won't regret it. :)

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Eyes, yeah, umm, that's it, for the eyes. :rofl:

Al, have you had a chance to shoot any of these yet to see if it holds up? Sounds like a good alternative that won't dry up in a week, like it seems to happen with a tube of super glue.

Al33

Al, have you had a chance to shoot any of these yet to see if it holds up?

No I haven’t but being familiar with the product I’m certain it will. If it will work on nails that are in andd out of water and pocket books it will do fine on the arrows.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
No I haven’t but being familiar with the product I’m certain it will. If it will work on nails that are in andd out of water and pocket books it will do fine on the arrows.
It is almost carpenter bee season. I'm sure we'll get a report back from you soon on how this holds up in action. :cool:

sawtooth

I just always use fletchtite to hold down the front quill. I guess I could try fingernail polish.

pine nut

Way back yonder I sued to use Fingernail polish to hold my bleeder blades still and stop rattling in the old Bear razorheads. It worked really well but you could break the bond to get them off for re-sharpening same and just paint them up again. This might be off topic but another use was on the knots of tapered leaders I would tie for fly fishing. It can be used for fly-head cement too. Also works to seal the end of fly line to the leader. I used whatever the wife had, but a bright color could act like a tiny strike indicator as well. Had fish hit the knots occasionally.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I use it when tying flies to coat threads and create hard back on some flies. It should work well on arrows.

AllAmerican

Great info everyone. I use fletch tite as well, but good to know when in a pinch. Al, your opening statement was funny ...

Vance Henry

Fletch tape works great. I started using it the last few months and love it. Does the polish come in bubble gum pink? :)