Internet has caused an will continue to cause lease prices to skyrocket

Spank

I am not sure I agree.

I am paying the same or less now in SC than I was paying 7 years ago.

One of my landowners has agreed to a decrease when his daughter graduates college and she only has one class left. Maybe in 2019 I get a break on that lease.

One of my landowners agreed to a two year 12.5% decrease (2018 and 2019) in lease fees because they clear cut about 55 acres of 260 acres total on that tract - and he granted me 6 additional prime acres of food plot ground (land that was in crop rotation until 2016 and is slated for pines).

One of my landowners in Illinois charged me the first year and now will not let me pay him at all.

My primary landowner in Illinois - I asked him if we needed to adjust the lease costs upwards in 2018 and he flatly refused - so these costs have been the same for 5 years - and he let me hunt the first year free “just to see if I liked it”.

A nice F150 was $11k in 1989, that same truck today would be - what - about $40k? Call it $35k ( which I think is low) it still costs 3x + as much and that was less than 30 years ago.

Nothing goes down in price, generally.

Some land in the Midwest is down - in the early 2000’s, land in and around Pike County Illinois was routinely $40-$50 acre. Not so any more, at least for the most part. It is still very high, but it is one of the premier places on the planet to deer hunt.

If you are paying between $12 to $16 per acre for decent ground in the south, I think you are about spot on.

Midwest - you can plan on $20 to $35 for a good farm that has a decent mix of tillable and timber.

IMHO, we are still in the good old days. Find good landowners and them give them great respect and treatment and you should do ok.

Can u lose your lease?

Of course you can.

Are you less likely to lose it?

Of course you are.

Best of luck to all!

Bingo!!!

ETA: Also remember that the cost of owning the property goes up for the landowner every year as well.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I already know about Florida. I lived there for many years. So you really do not need to tell me all your stats.... THE END..................

I can not believe it! This is too funny.

The biggest complainer about Floridians messing up hunting in GA was a Floridian himself.facepalm:

grouper throat

We just broke $6 an acre here for a lease locally. At $15-20 an acre you need to be buying land. I am all for paying 3k+ in club dues per year but I get about 120,000 acres to hunt as well, not a few hundred.

8pointduck

I can not believe it! This is too funny.

The biggest complainer about Floridians messing up hunting in GA was a Floridian himself.facepalm:

No I am not a Floridian. I lived there for a while. I just do see how someone can railroad there way into someone elses back yard , try to cut there legs off, and try to justify why they are doing it. I am not saying everyone from Florida does it. I am sure of that, but do not try and say it does not happen when there are plenty who know otherwise.

Jay Hughes

;)h
Period. Boom. End of thread.

The contention is far worse in this thread than any of the SB 450 threads. The only thing missing here is your sarcastic replies. Wonder why? ::ke:

Just having some fun. It is pretty hot in here!

::gone:

pottydoc

No I am not a Floridian. I lived there for a while. I just do see how someone can railroad there way into someone elses back yard , try to cut there legs off, and try to justify why they are doing it. I am not saying everyone from Florida does it. I am sure of that, but do not try and say it does not happen when there are plenty who know otherwise.

No one, especially me, said it didn't happen. I said it was rare, and it is. When I asked you to back up your claims, all you had to say was you had stories to tell. Sorry bud, that's not backing up anything.Those are just what you called them, stories. The only one making bull poop claims on here is you, when you tell us there is no available leases within 100 miles of your house. They might be more expensive than you think they ought to be, they might be clubs you don't want to join for one reason or the other, or there might be something else that would keep you from getting on them, but they're still out there. A lot of leases don't even advertise when they have an opening, the one I'm on, for the example. You wouldn't even you hear about it if we needed a member, we would get someone who e know, and has already expressed an interest. Theres probably properties like that you don't know about. We get it. You're one of the guys who thinks no one except a few of you and your buddies should be able to hunt, and it shouldn't cost you anything. Anything that you think is wrong with deer hunting is automatically the fault of someone else. Usually Florida hunters, or "those rich guys from Atlanta."

Swamprat

Swamprat
There is property/leases in my area that produce some great bucks but you will never see a social media post of those bucks for fear of other folks coming in and driving up lease costs.

Central Florida is a case of supply and demand so they can charge 5-9,000 per membership. You might have 8000 acres with 10 members but you have to realize 70% of it might be pasture so you are getting butt kicked when it comes to actual hunting woods.

So yeah folks from FL go to GA, SC, AL, way cheaper with more wooded acreage. Landowners see this demand so the price goes up but it is in no way reached it's potential limit.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member

Sorry doood, anyone living voluntarily in FLA for over 2 weeks is either a Floridian or a Floridiot.:rofl:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
There’s just as many clubs looking for members as members looking for clubs. Internet is not the only place to find hunting spots and members.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
After wading through all of this.......I’m glad that I lease from a private individual and only have my immediate family there:D

Hunted and fished the same little ole 110 acres and 4 ponds for 22 years now.

8pointduck

No one, especially me, said it didn't happen. I said it was rare, and it is. When I asked you to back up your claims, all you had to say was you had stories to tell. Sorry bud, that's not backing up anything.Those are just what you called them, stories. The only one making bull poop claims on here is you, when you tell us there is no available leases within 100 miles of your house. They might be more expensive than you think they ought to be, they might be clubs you don't want to join for one reason or the other, or there might be something else that would keep you from getting on them, but they're still out there. A lot of leases don't even advertise when they have an opening, the one I'm on, for the example. You wouldn't even you hear about it if we needed a member, we would get someone who e know, and has already expressed an interest. Theres probably properties like that you don't know about. We get it. You're one of the guys who thinks no one except a few of you and your buddies should be able to hunt, and it shouldn't cost you anything. Anything that you think is wrong with deer hunting is automatically the fault of someone else. Usually Florida hunters, or "those rich guys from Atlanta."

You want an explanation? For real? It happened in Monroe co. On stoke Store Rd. where we leased from a widow for many years. Next to us were a Florida club who came to visit us one year to feel us out .After the season was over the head of our club got a call from the lady to tell him of the call she got from the man who leased the land next to hers, that he was willing to pay more for the lease, she said no ,but he still gave her his number. We had a cold relationship after that. Another thing, you don't read crap when it comes to what I posted. I never said anything about a ready made lease or club . I said land. You have repeatedly either left things out or made things up. and yes, I do know others who have had the same problems ,so I could care less what you believe. I don't need a lesson on leases ,or clubs either. Since I have posted that I am blessed to be in one, another fact you seem to ignored, or is it you can't fully comprehend. I also said that there had to be some good folks that came from other states too. I surely have not posted anything about anyone from Atlanta. Seems like you are really butt hurt and since you came at me through someone elses post I truly believe you have a problem and you really need to drop it. I have.

pottydoc

You want an explanation? For real? It happened in Monroe co. On stoke Store Rd. where we leased from a widow for many years. Next to us were a Florida club who came to visit us one year to feel us out .After the season was over the head of our club got a call from the lady to tell him of the call she got from the man who leased the land next to hers, that he was willing to pay more for the lease, she said no ,but he still gave her his number. We had a cold relationship after that. Another thing, you don't read crap when it comes to what I posted. I never said anything about a ready made lease or club . I said land. You have repeatedly either left things out or made things up. and yes, I do know others who have had the same problems ,so I could care less what you believe. I don't need a lesson on leases ,or clubs either. Since I have posted that I am blessed to be in one, another fact you seem to ignored, or is it you can't fully comprehend. I also said that there had to be some good folks that came from other states too. I surely have not posted anything about anyone from Atlanta. Seems like you are really butt hurt and since you came at me through someone elses post I truly believe you have a problem and you really need to drop it. I have.
Yeah, you dropped it alright, that's the reason you're still posting. And all I've ever said is that you have nothing but stories. Like the one you just posted. You have no clue if the lady was just looking for more money with her story or not. The thing I flat out said was bull poop, was your claim that there was no land to lease within 100 miles of your home. I still say it's bull. Just because you haven't found any, doesn't mean it's not there. Since you're already in a club, I doubt seriously you've looked for any more land. Maybe so, but probably not. Our lease is in one of the most popular areas of Ga for leases, but there are properties available every year. They get grabbed up quick, and are expensive, but there are always some that come open. One of the pieces next to us will have a new bunch on it starting in June. The owners offered it to us, we weren't interested (don't want to add members), they advertised it, and it went quickly. Actually to a group from Atlanta. And bud, I'm so far from being butt hurt it's funny. I do like pulling your chain though. Now that's funny.

8pointduck

Yeah, you dropped it alright, that's the reason you're still posting. And all I've ever said is that you have nothing but stories. Like the one you just posted. You have no clue if the lady was just looking for more money with her story or not. The thing I flat out said was bull poop, was your claim that there was no land to lease within 100 miles of your home. I still say it's bull. Just because you haven't found any, doesn't mean it's not there. Since you're already in a club, I doubt seriously you've looked for any more land. Maybe so, but probably not. Our lease is in one of the most popular areas of Ga for leases, but there are properties available every year. They get grabbed up quick, and are expensive, but there are always some that come open. One of the pieces next to us will have a new bunch on it starting in June. The owners offered it to us, we weren't interested (don't want to add members), they advertised it, and it went quickly. Actually to a group from Atlanta. And bud, I'm so far from being butt hurt it's funny. I do like pulling your chain though. Now that's funny.

Pulling my chain, wow , you got me. All I have is stories, wow, you got me. Your not butt hurt, wow, you got me. Everything is bull whatever, wow you got me. Me knowing what I am talking about, wow you got me. You have magical clairvoyance since you know what has happened, so you got me. You are so butt hurt you even attack me through other posts, so you got me. :rofl: You must really care. I am glad for you .In a popular area. Good for you. But, you got me.............pulling my chain..............by by now...............Oh yeah, who has not stopped posting? We will see.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
In all fairness I’ve experienced the “no locals allowed” run ins. Been told that they didn’t want locals because locals would hunt more than them. So I pulled out the ace and offered $2 more per acre and got the whole thing the following season. I’ve experienced that call at 10pm from a former landowner telling me that those Tennessee boys are offering more, my reply was give it to them. But there’s plenty of places to lease. I’ve been on both sides of that game.

8pointduck

In all fairness I’ve experienced the “no locals allowed” run ins. Been told that they didn’t want locals because locals would hunt more than them. So I pulled out the ace and offered $2 more per acre and got the whole thing the following season. I’ve experienced that call at 10pm from a former landowner telling me that those Tennessee boys are offering more, my reply was give it to them. But there’s plenty of places to lease. I’ve been on both sides of that game.

I guess there is no deer in Tennessee. It is a shame we have to fight for land in our own state. Play dirty . I have never liked jumping around. It is never guaranteed you will be in one spot for long, but when you build a place up , place stands, food plots, learn the area, etc., just to have it slip out from under you that is not a great feeling. I have never tried to undermine anybody like that . Don't think I would. But getting the feeling we will see more of it. Leased land in the middle of the state is pretty much locked up , unless you want clearcut land . These days that's not so safe either.

Rich M

I fear that in the future that hunting any quality land will be for the fortunate private land owners or the elite (wealthy) that can afford the lease prices...Like others have already said on here, people from Florida and the big cities like Atlanta already lease land in rural counties to hunt because they can't find any in the big cities and they have plenty of money to afford a 500 -1000 acre lease without having 25 club members

LOLOLOLOLOL!

You really believe that? The rich folks from FL & Atlanta are ruining hunting leases.

I concede that you are fully correct on the land ownership thing - the prices are nuts and aren't likely to go down much. My excuse is that I did not put a priority in buying land until it was too late to afford a sizeable piece.

As for leases with 25 folks on there - it is up to you. Do you think the guy who holds the lease is actually hunting that 500 acre piece with 25 guys on it? It is a money maker for him.

The outdoors writers would have you believe that the number of hunters is decreasing. Look at the demand for leases and preference points for quota hunts (anywhere) and you will find that demand exceeds supply.

And yes - the folks with the money will have more fun than the folks who don't have the money. It has always been.