Whitetail Deer Game Movement Chart

rustybucket

I know nobody here believes in these things, but I've been building this the last few years to help myself isolate good times to hunt. It takes into account your local weather, local moon, local solar...etc. to formulate a score for every hour of every day for the next 7 days.

Click on ANY hour to see the detail of that particular hour. Drag hours around to compare side-by-side.

Looks like this weekend is shaping up fairly nicely for some morning sits!!! I'm pretty excited, highest scores of the year so far for me. All I've seen so far this year is mosquitoes and deer flies!!!

btw, I'm down in south ga, haven't looked at the northern ga chart yet.

Feedback is always welcome!! Enjoy!

http://www.ranulos.com

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Interesting. If I'm reading it right, there is a small window of decent hunting in my area around 8am this Sat? The zip where I'll be hunting is 32628.

drmart1558

ever use this to go back and compare what it had predicted to your personal, actual results? as in after this week, (or maybe a longer period of time for more accurate results) go back and compare what you saw to what it predicted? that would be an interesting thing to look at.

dllewal

Base on the deer movement I saw this morning, you are dead-on with the forecast times. Only issue I see is your <now> clock is off by an hour for my local time zone, an hour behind. Suggest adding in a time adjustment option to correct/override program calculated <now> time. Otherwise, it's an excellent tool. Great Job! I really like your color choices and overall look of the interface. It convey's really well!

rustybucket

Base on the deer movement I saw this morning, you are dead-on with the forecast times. Only issue I see is your <now> clock is off by an hour for my local time zone, an hour behind. Suggest adding in a time adjustment option to correct/override program calculated <now> time. Otherwise, it's an excellent tool. Great Job! I really like your color choices and overall look of the interface. It convey's really well!

Do you mind posting or pm'ing me the zip code you used so I could look into this?

rustybucket

Interesting. If I'm reading it right, there is a small window of decent hunting in my area around 8am this Sat? The zip where I'll be hunting is 32628.

Looks that way. Basically, the greener the better! If you click on the hour you will see a detail forecast for that specific hour.

Nastytater

Banned
I'll have to give my Boss this link so it can excuse me from work Monday & Tuesday. After all,it says Go Hunt.

rustybucket

ever use this to go back and compare what it had predicted to your personal, actual results? as in after this week, (or maybe a longer period of time for more accurate results) go back and compare what you saw to what it predicted? that would be an interesting thing to look at.

I do this on a fairly regular basis, when I'm working on developing it.

It's definitely not perfect lol! I built this thing for myself, basically b/c I had a problem. My work schedule is VERY flexible, but I work A LOT!! So I could go hunting pretty much anytime, but couldn't go very much. And I didn't have time to constantly check the weather, conditions...etc. I found myself missing some VERY good mornings b/c I just wasn't paying attention to the weather.

So I needed something I could just glance at and key in on certain days/times to focus on. Basically this is just a tool to help you pick or narrow down times that would be best suited to hunt, or possibly expose times to hunt that you would have overlooked before.

Hunting is still hunting.... lol. Nothing like this is ever going to be perfect, but I will say that I have found it to be VERY helpful over the last few years.

It's funny looking back, this all started as just a little weekend project to put something together to help me see the weather better.... now the core calculation algorithm that runs for every hour of every day is over 2k lines of code!! I get a kick out of adding new factors/variables into the equation.

btw, yes, I am a programmer by trade! :D

rustybucket

I'll have to give my Boss this link so it can excuse me from work Monday & Tuesday. After all,it says Go Hunt.

Actually,... you will probably want to keep this out of your bosses hands!! When you call in sick 'cough-cough' the first thing he will do is pull up the chart!!!

ask me how I know!!!! :cheers:

Fireump

One thing I know for sure,,,,I ain't never killed a deer, hog, or turkey sitting around the house....gotta be in the woods.....so when you have the time, be in the stand.

bamaboy

Your times are dead on with my trail cam pics of movement. Good chart!!

macdog82881

Does it change as the weather changes I.e. pop up showers or stronger than predicted winds ?

rustybucket

I like it!But the NOW time is a hour behind in 30016.

Ok, thanks for the feedback on this guys. I've got the 'NOW ->' indicator showing up properly now.

To the comments on the time zone adjuster.... It 'should' automatically detect your timezone and adjust all calculations to your timezone.

PappyHoel

You should make this a smartphone app. I would give you a dollar for this. Good development.

ross the deer slayer

This is really cool I like it. If this was an app for droid I'd get it. I'm bookmarking it

rustybucket

BTW, although the interface isn't great on a smart phone the site completely works on a phone or ipad. The only thing that doesn't work is the dragging of hours around to compare. I have it bookmarked on the home screen of my iPhone.