Hog hunting redlands wma

slayer205

So I am very confused on the laws and rules of hog hunting wma lands. I understand that if it is small game season you have to use small game weapons, however it states that fox and bobcat can be taken with large caliber weapons? So does the redlands allow me to use a 308 to hunt hog or do i have to use a .22mag?

Beretta682

Correct me if I'm wrong but the archery only area of Watson springs applies to deer hunting only, not small game.

MNboy82

I was thinking about the exact same question...would love to take a 308 out "fox hunting" and harvest a hog. Basically, do we just need to have a small game license, a rifle, and we are good?

Based on the wording of this years regs, it sure looks to me like we can shoot a hog while hunting on a wma for bobcat or fox with a centerfire rifle in calibers .17 and higher. The wording has changed from previous years regs, so seems like that is the intended meaning. Took me several readings to figure it out though.

elmer_fudd

Yes, you can hunt Redlands (or any WMA which does not explicitly forbid it) with centerfire arms December thru February (fur bearer season). Hogs are definitely fair game.

Beretta682, you are correct. Watson Springs is archery only for deer season only. You may hunt with firearms during small game/furbearer season. I called the DNR recently to make sure.

elmer_fudd

I was thinking about the exact same question...would love to take a 308 out "fox hunting" and harvest a hog. Basically, do we just need to have a small game license, a rifle, and we are good?
You would also need a WMA license to hunt on WMAs

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
So I am very confused on the laws and rules of hog hunting wma lands. I understand that if it is small game season you have to use small game weapons, however it states that fox and bobcat can be taken with large caliber weapons? So does the redlands allow me to use a 308 to hunt hog or do i have to use a .22mag?
Be mindful that if you are furbearer hunting you need to have a predator call on you to justify carrying the rifle. I just picked up a cheap rabbit squealer so I'm covered.

ucfireman

I hunted Ocmulgee a few times and didn't carry a call. Didn't really think about it honestly.
That said, does not having a call really mean you are not hunting fur bearer?

Pirasyl

Guys, I'm not sure about the legal part of using night vision sights in this circumstance. I came across a shop with these tools https://www.prgdefense.com/ and decided to get hold of one. Is it allowed or only the type of weapon matters?