Sambar Deer Hunt - St. Vincent's Island

tcoker

Sounds so cool, what a unique opportunity. Good Luck

Egbertdavis

I had a great time last week. I met some really great guys from all over and in particular some members of this forum. The harvest was off from last year, but more in line with normal harvests. 7 sambar were killed.

Here are a few pictures from the 2 stands I was in. Really looking forward to the drawing for next year and getting another opportunity to get one.

I guess the pictures will have to wait. They are not uploading.

ben300win

How do you get drawn so often? This is our 3rd year of applying and haven't got drawn as of yet. Hope this year is the year. I have been to ossabaw a few times so I have an idea what to expect and pack.

ben300win

Me and a buddy finally got drawn after 3 years of applying. I am stoked. Would like to talk to some of the guys that have been before.

Wanderlust

Got a priority point. Gonna try for a left over tag. Congratulations on your draw. Went two years ago and had a good time despite the bad weather. Can't wait to go again.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Me and a buddy finally got drawn after 3 years of applying. I am stoked. Would like to talk to some of the guys that have been before.

I've been 3 times, get ready for lots of work, lots of patience, and not seeing much action. With less than 4% success, there is a lot of luck involved. In my 3 trips I caught one glimpse of a live hind and several were killed on the area where I hunted. Luckily, one of the guys in our group killed a really nice stag last year. It's loads of fun, but a pretty tough hunt. We're going to Colorado this year for a better chance at success!

Got a point this year. How are you guys getting over to the island? Ferry told me they didn't take hunters. Was thinking about getting a deer tag.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Got a point this year. How are you guys getting over to the island? Ferry told me they didn't take hunters. Was thinking about getting a deer tag.

Plenty of folks take jon boats or even kayaks, it's only a few hundred yards across Indian Pass. However, the Pass can get rough if the wind kicks up. Bicycles are a necessity on the island.

ben300win

We are hiring a guy named John who is a boat Captain down there. Has two boats. 125.00 per person round trip. Charlie good luck with Colorado. What unit are you hunting? Regs say you have to camp on the far end of the island. Read of several boats getting sunk over there.

ben300win

Plenty of folks take jon boats or even kayaks, it's only a few hundred yards across Indian Pass. However, the Pass can get rough if the wind kicks up. Bicycles are a necessity on the island.

Can you ride a bike decently on the roads? I know there is some sugar sand in some places, but for the most part I'm hoping it's decent pedalling.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
We are hiring a guy named John who is a boat Captain down there. Has two boats. 125.00 per person round trip. Charlie good luck with Colorado. What unit are you hunting? Regs say you have to camp on the far end of the island. Read of several boats getting sunk over there.

We're hunting unit 65 near Cimarron, steep! You can camp on either end, West Pass or Indian Pass.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Can you ride a bike decently on the roads? I know there is some sugar sand in some places, but for the most part I'm hoping it's decent pedalling.

Yep, they maintain them pretty good and they are hard packed oyster shell roads. There will be patches you have to walk your bike, but the main roads are pretty good. Just bring a patch kit and extra tube, oyster shells and sand spurs are rough on bikes. You'll see all kinds of crazy ways to tote a deer stand on a bike, and I've tried several. My best solution was robbing the strap and belt system from my frame pack and mounting on my deer stand. I could bike my stand 5 miles with no problem.

ben300win

Yep, they maintain them pretty good and they are hard packed oyster shell roads. There will be patches you have to walk your bike, but the main roads are pretty good. Just bring a patch kit and extra tube, oyster shells and sand spurs are rough on bikes. You'll see all kinds of crazy ways to tote a deer stand on a bike, and I've tried several. My best solution was robbing the strap and belt system from my frame pack and mounting on my deer stand. I could bike my stand 5 miles with no problem.

Never hunted unit 65. Only 70 and 62. Good luck Charlie! Thanks for all the info

do you mind sharing the contact info for him? I'm thinking of going on the whitetail hunt.

ben300win

Boat Captain

The guys name is John. I did a bunch of online research and found his name in one of the forums. His number is 850-323-0947. He said him and his son run two boats to the island and he has been a captain for 35 years. Sounds like a good guy.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I've read some about needing a fat tire bike? Regular bike, I have that, but no fat tire back. What's y'alls experience there?

No, you don't need one. Several folks had them, but it looked like a bunch of extra weight. The main roads are hard and in pretty good shape except where you cross dune ridges. I could make it 5 miles to the center of the island in about 20-25 minutes. Figuring out how to tote your stand on a bike is the more difficult task.

ben300win

I have a trailer I made for my cooler that I plan on taking and making an adapter to make it hook to my bike so I can haul my stand and a small hydration pack on it.