GA Boat Taxes

tigerfan

I am planning to buy a boat in the very near future, and I was hoping that one of you could help me out.

I have been researching boats, insurance, etc; however, I can't seem to locate any tax information regarding the boat. Is there an Ad-val. tax for boats (Forsyth Co)?

A friend indicated that the tax would be based on the trailer and not the boat. Any truth to that?

Thanks

allenweeks

i personally have not paid any tax on a boat. but i have heard of people getting a tax bill in the mail. so long ago i read it somewhere. ill see if i can dig it up somewhere

Gotfive

I'm not sure about Forsyth, but in Coweta I pay tax on the trailer that is only $12 or $14. The most expensive is the luxury tax which I'm sure varies for each county.

gabreamfanatic

i have all ways just paid taxes on the trailer and not the boat. when you do your regerstration thats when you pay that taxes on the boat.

Jim Baker

Staff member
I am planning to buy a boat in the very near future, and I was hoping that one of you could help me out.

I have been researching boats, insurance, etc; however, I can't seem to locate any tax information regarding the boat. Is there an Ad-val. tax for boats (Forsyth Co)?

A friend indicated that the tax would be based on the trailer and not the boat. Any truth to that?

Thanks

You will be taxed on the trailer when you buy the tag.

Once you register the boat you will recieve a form to declare the boat from the county tax assessors office.

If you do not fill out the form and return it a value will be set by the tax assessors office.

You will be taxed on the boat and motor as personal property.

Bowfisher

You will be taxed on the trailer when you buy the tag.

Once you register the boat you will recieve a form to declare the boat from the county tax assessors office.

If you do not fill out the form and return it a value will be set by the tax assessors office.

You will be taxed on the boat and motor as personal property.

Thats a big 10-4 on that, I got one last month wanting to know how much everything was worth. I know they don't know how much and they low balled it so I gonna let that one ride. You can't anything anymore with out a tax!!

fuller729

If the boat is worth under $7500 in Coweta I was told I would not have a luxury bill on it. Tell them it is worth less.

Fishingchickenman

I live in watkinsville and I just got my tax bill and it was 24 dollars. On the trailer as far as the insurance it runs me about 25 a month

CT

DTruitt01

you don't have to tell them what it is worth the assessors office will use abos value's it's kinda like nada value and you will be taxed on 40% of fair market value that time's the mill rate for your county will give you a tax bill.

Last edited:

Luckybuck

You definitely will receive a ad valorem personal property tax in addition to paying for your tag. The County will send out a form early January for you to declare ownership and values. But like a pre posting they have values to go by.

tigerfan

Boat value

I have called about the insurance already so it is not a problem.

The boat will be valued near $20K so I was curious about the taxes on it.

Thanks all....

DTruitt01

if the boat value is $20.000 that x .40 = $8.000 that multiplied by the mill rate in coweta the rate is .02831 would be around $226 to $227 tax.

Last edited:

Gotfive

If the boat is worth under $7500 in Coweta I was told I would not have a luxury bill on it. Tell them it is worth less.

I'm not sure about the $7500 deal. I hope that's the case. I did try and lowball it one time and they ignored it and set the value themselves, like DTruitt01 said. You know you can't win against the tax man!!!

jimmystriton

if yuo low ball it they will kow. been there paid that. I have another thread on here about it. So if it is a luxury tax then someone that has a a nice riding lawnmower should have to pay a tax on it since it is a luxury..not so much. All the people that make these tax laws have more luxuries than most of us here but i think they call theirs tax exemptions. I am going ot buy a new triton this year however i will turn around and sale it to my sister in TN for a dollar. Stipilations state where the boat is located. well i t will be located in TN "wink wink" There are loopholes in all the tax stuff just have to get with a politition to find them they know where all of them are.

mesocollins

Any way the gov't can get money without a stink, they will eventually do it. Seems like when you buy the boat it should be yours. I just got a form for my boat. It's a 14' alumacraft w/ a 6hp evinrude. Paid $500 for the boat new and $200 for the motor lol. They gonna tax me on that? Bet the tax would be less then the form they sent to me.

tigerfan

Thanks

Thanks again all. I really did not know what I would be looking at when purchasing this boat - my first. So, I appreciate all of the feedback.

Hope to see you out there.

Tight lines!!!

tigerfan

Last question

Please forgive the ignorance, but should I expect to pay "sales tax" on the purchase of the boat?

Gotfive

Yes, unless you buy it out of state. Then they're supposed to get you when to register it, but many fall thru the cracks. Sometimes you never pay on a purchase out of state.