Coyotes in Southern Cherokee County?

Swab

I've been taking the kids for hikes behind our sub-division over the past few weeks and have noticed quite a few canine tracks and several piles of what look to be coyote scat in the middle of some of the trails. The area is Corp land at the back of Kellogg Creek around the Payne campground on Allatoona. This morning when I was leaving for work, there was a half eaten cat at the edge of the woods across from my house (these woods are connected to the Corp property). So I'm wondering if there have been any reports or if anyone has seen coyotes in the area roughly between Bells Ferry Rd., Hwy 92 and Kellogg Creek Rd.? I'm not too worried about it other than keeping my young ones closer to me when we're out in the woods.

Polaris08

S. Cherokee Coyotes

The answer is a resounding, "YES". I live in a subdivision on the southern side of the corps property of Kellogg Creek, my in-laws live on the northern side of Kellogg Creek property. You are surrounded by two things my family and coyotes.

I used to hear them quite often and had signs that they were in my yard (subdivision). I even saw one in my yard one night but thought it was a neighbor's German Shephard in the shadows until I talked to him. Not his dog!!!

They have gone quiet for the most part unless the emergency sirens are running up and down Kellogg Creek, Pleasant Valley Church, or Glade Road. Then I can hear them, not the numbers I used to hear, but they are still here. I have even seen one in the day on Priest Road that runs south from Hwy 92, where the old fire station was.

They are still here, they have just gone quiet for the most part. Heat should be starting so we will probably hear more from them for a while.

There are a few horse farms that I have thought of approaching in the area since a Winter litter will be big enough to bring down a colt. The adjoin my neighborhood in one way or another and I don't want them getting to the pets and kids here.

You got any place to handle Coyotes? We need to deal with them before the population explodes again.

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
I'm in Cobb county but close to Woodstock we've seen yotes and heard them for 6-8 years

vol man

oh yeah. they are all around. we have in my subdivision in woodstock with out a doubt. i see them all around the lake.

Polaris08

Just came in from taking the dogs out around 11:00 Saturday Night. I could hear two or three Coyotes on Kellogg Creek East of Old Alabama and the Yacht Club. Sounded like two or three adults yipping at the passing siren somewhere between the Yacht Club and the bridge crossing over the lake. Since you are in a neighborhood off of Kellogg Creek Corps property it has to be near you.

Not the first time I have heard them in that area, the majority seemed to move from the Old Alabama area to the east in the past year.

GunnSmokeer

How to Hunt

So how can you effectively hunt coyotes in a suburban area where there are local laws against discharging a firearm?

Can you call them in close enough to use archery? Maybe a crossbow with a low-power scope or red dot gunsight?

Are you allowed to hunt them over bait? (I know you can't bait deer, but does that rule apply to coyotes or other predators / nuisance animals?)

I assume that there are some adult air rifles that would kill them, the kind of pre-charged pneumatic guns that fire a .30 to .36 lead slug at 900 f.p.s, but those guns are rare and very expensive. Forget shooting them with a .177 or .22 airgun, unless you just want to wound them and let them die of an infection later (cruel and unlawful, too).

I'd like to kill coyotes. They kill people's pet cats and dogs here in the northern Atlanta suburbs. Yotes seem to have no natural enemies besides motor vehicles when they cross the roads at night!

.308 Yota

Look at this one. Kinda blurry but right off of Mars Hill Rd. in Acworth.

Attachments

• PICT0044.jpg
    PICT0044.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,036