Which would you prefer? .270 VS .308

shane256

18" barrel on the .270Win? Kinda defeats the purpose. Of those two, the .308. If both had 22" barrels, I'd toss a coin.

Doc_Holliday23

Depending on the rifle, the loads I use, Varget and Barnes TSX130s or TTSX 110s, I would expect a low of somewhere of 2600-2650 and a high of 2800-2850.
ok, bout what I guessed. obviously not ideal for caliber but still plenty of energy to kill deer out to 250 yards, maybe more.

Wild Turkey

.270 is a nice round but best shooting requires reloading custom rounds.
.308 is the most tested, shot long range round ever developed. Custom match rounds are readily availiable even in a holocaust situation.

the 30 cal is my choice and I will carry my .308 over my .270 anytime im looking at 200 yd shots.

miles58

Banned yankee
ok, bout what I guessed. obviously not ideal for caliber but still plenty of energy to kill deer out to 250 yards, maybe more.

If I am down at 2600/2650 MV and have to shoot 300 yards it will not be with a Barnes. I think I'd use A lightly constructed BT, and then still limit it to 200. I like having a little extra in reserve in case I guess wrong on the range. 2600 will be down to around 2000 at 250. If i can for certain stay within 200 then I could live with Barnes, but only then and only if I had to start that slow.

Dave

lonewolf247

x2

Both will kill a hog equally as well, I just shot a 225+ lb boar the other day with a 150gr 30/30 and it went clear through both shoulders. I believe anything in the .270 or .308 will be as effective.

I think your correct, both will still kill hogs or deer, and the animal wouldn't know the difference, and dead is dead.:) I personally just prefer to see a rifle function at it's best potential. A .270 is a long action caliber requiring a longer barrel to burn the powder properly. It performs much better when shot from a 22-24" barrel, and anything less is going to loose performance. The .308/7mm-08 on the other hand, are short action calibers that perform quite well from 20" barrels, and make good compact rifles, without sacrificing performance. That being said, if you have a .270 in an 18-20" barrel configuration, and it's getting the job done, and you like it, go for it. It's just that it's not going to operate at it's potential, and somewhat defeats the purpose of having the long action caliber. Both calibers, in an equal rifle configeration of 22-24" barrels, would sorta make it more equal and a matter of preference, both having it's advantages.

Jimmyp

Curious as to which would be a better all around setup for deer/hog mainly.

.270 winchester with a 18'' barrel

or

.308 win with a 22'' barrel?????

Which would have superior ballistics? Pros/cons.

What it boils down to is I own the .270 and have a trade offer involving the .308

Rifles involved are
1) Ruger Ultralight .270
2) Ruger M77 MKII .308

There's not a penny's worth of difference for deer and hogs here in GA. If you want to swap for the fun of it, go for it, however if I had a .270 win that would stack 3 factory 130's into an inch consistently from a cold barrel I would hold on to it. The grass is always greener etc. OTOH if you wanted a rifle to hunt "everything and everywhere" there is not much you can do better than a 30-06. Phil Shoemaker has hunted bears and killed them in Alaska with the 30-06 and 220's. So stand pat if you have a good gun wait for a better trade.

BamaBart

I wouldn't want a 270 with a 18" barrel. Go for the 308.:cool:

Alan in GA

Personally I've had 20" barrels and a Ruger 77UL [Ultra Lite]. My UL was in .250 Savage and then refitted/rechambered to .250 Savage Ackley Improved. I think I permanently lost some hearing shooting that barrel at coyote on a snowy cold humid day.

I've been next to guys shooting their UL 20" barrels in .270 Win and 30/06 at the range and can not imagine shooting them even once at deer/hogs in the woods without hearing protection.
To me muzzle blast is MUCH LESS with 22" barrels and longer. Iv'e had both .308s and .270s and I don't think a hog or deer would know the difference in which had hit it.
If I had your .270 I would sell it or rebarrel it to at least 22". A quality aftermarket barrel is something every rifleman needs to experience....as many times as possible! You just might wish you had done it sooner, as I have...many Pac Nor barrels later.

miles58

Banned yankee
Guys,

This thread is a good place to make a point.

Sometimes you have these situations and if you reload you have options that just flat are not available to people who do not reload.

I have run Barnes 85 grain Flat Base TSXs in a .270 before. When I crank them up to near book max with Varget a 24 inch barrel gives me 3500 FPS give or take. I think I could pick a little faster powder and not have to sacrifice so much speed to the amputated barrel. Doing that could easily produce a good Bambi whacking load that would handle deer or pigs out to 300 yards. That's further than 99% of the deer shot every year are killed at.

Like I said above, if you are stuck buying factory ammo 2500 FPS is a very real likelihood at the muzzle. That's giving away close to 600 FPS for 130 grain bullets in a .270 before the bullet has traveled the first inch.

I have killed deer with .243s and 85 grain Barnes bullets and can flat out guarantee you that they can penetrate a whole lot further in a deer than a lead core 130 started at 3000 FPS or so. That little bullet in a .270 would be an impressive killer at 3500 FPS or so. I have seen what that kind of speed does with Barnes 130s out of a 300 Win Mag.

Even out of an 18 inch barrel, I would expect in excess of 3050 FPS out of if I did some experimenting with powders. Comparing that to a .308 Win running a Barnes 130 at 3050 which is one nice deer load, I doubt anyone could tell the difference in what it does to deer or hogs. I have tried hard, and I can't see any difference when I shoot deer with a .243 and 85 grain Barnes, 270s and 110 or 130 grain Barnes, 308/30-06s with 130/150 grain Barnes or 300 Win Mag and 130/150 grain Barnes. They all look the same to me.

If you are even thinking that someday in the far distant future you might want to reload, this should give you pause. This is not difficult and it is not a dangerous experiment. There will be very good published data to guide you. It is also the very best solution to a problem like this because it allows you to keep almost all of what's available out of that 270.

Dave

BamaBart

I wouldn't want a 270 with a 18" barrel. Go for the 308.:cool:

I was thinking it would be loud and unbalanced. I would want a 22" to 24 on a 270, but that's just me.

tad1

See if one of the two just fits/feels better and roll with it. You'll probable shoot that one better in the field!