Trouble identifying

drippin' rock

I've been using several on line resources to teach myself how to identify points, but it can be a bit overwelming. I'm pretty sure this is a knife blade. It is 4 7/8" long. What's the name and region for this piece?

IMG_1047.jpg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Looks like a Cobb`s knife, and a really nice one. Early Archaic. Great find.

dtala

mighty slim for a Cobbs blade and no alternate beveling.

kinda looks Boggy Branch type 1 with no shoulders, mostly made of Coastal Plains chert and found in se Al and sw Ga.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
For sure it wouldn`t take much for that one to be a Boggy.

I only have one Boggy Branch in my collection. They are rare.

drippin' rock

Just from what I'm seeing on line, Boggy branch has a base and is serrated? When I pull up images of Cobb points, they look just like my point here.

It looks like it has first stage beveling on the left side. Wouldn't take much work to turn it into a boggy though.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Just from what I'm seeing on line, Boggy branch has a base and is serrated? When I pull up images of Cobb points, they look just like my point here.

Unless you set it down somewhere and lost it before you finished shaping and sharpening it....;)

I think that a lot of un-notched or un-stemmed point types are actually preforms that were finished to a certain stage and then stored, and never got finished for whatever reason. I do that myself quite often. If you flintknap, you know what your stemmed and notched points look like before you stem or notch them.

In any event, that is a killer piece, and a great find!