Never thought it would be this hard

jerry russell

Very sorry for your loss. I hope you can get past the pain to a point where the memories make you smile when you think of him.

Horns

December 2 will be 4 years since I had to make that decision. I think about her daily and compare our other dogs to her. She was mine and it hurts immensely. But she is not in pain anymore. I had her for 14+ years and she was the best dog ever. Nothing is like having your own dog. Condolences to you and your family.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Never Thought

Hey Vernon, how long has it been since he started treatment? Hope all continues to go well.

Hiawassee: My Duke began treatment approx. fours years ago and continues unto this day. He's no longer as active as previously, otherwise his livelihood is near normal.

Sorry about being so late with the response!

atlashunter

Had my lab 13 years before I had to put him down. A lot can change in that time and they are there with you through all of it. They are family and it hurts to lose them for sure.

hiawassee1

Well almost 3 yrs to the day, it looks like I’ll be putting Kimber down for the same reason as Tucker, Blastomycosis.
I swore after putting Tucker down that I would not have another!! Well I found Kimber and never thought it would happen a second time so short into her life. Tucker was a great dog, but Kimber has been unbelievable, she turned 3 May 1st. When the test results come back Friday, a decision will probably have to be made. It will confirm what took the vision in her right eye, and now her lymph nodes in her rear right leg are so swollen she can hardly walk. It has been a very trying 2 weeks, especially when you know your dog is painfully miserable.
Really not sure what has possibly caused this in both my dogs, but my family will not be trying with a third dog. It’s too heart wrenching, and not fair to the animals!!

Cool Hand Luke

Awe man, I am very sorry. My lab "Cool Hand Luke" just turned 11 and starting to show his age. Not looking forward that time but if he is suffering, it is always for the best. Again, I am sorry.

longbowdave1

Well almost 3 yrs to the day, it looks like I’ll be putting Kimber down for the same reason as Tucker, Blastomycosis.
I swore after putting Tucker down that I would not have another!! Well I found Kimber and never thought it would happen a second time so short into her life. Tucker was a great dog, but Kimber has been unbelievable, she turned 3 May 1st. When the test results come back Friday, a decision will probably have to be made. It will confirm what took the vision in her right eye, and now her lymph nodes in her rear right leg are so swollen she can hardly walk. It has been a very trying 2 weeks, especially when you know your dog is painfully miserable.
Really not sure what has possibly caused this in both my dogs, but my family will not be trying with a third dog. It’s too heart wrenching, and not fair to the animals!!
Very sorry to hear that. Never easy.

jbogg

That is awful. I hate that you all are having to go through that again. After over 16 years we had to put ours down earlier this month.

Twiggbuster

Sorry for the losses y’all are experiencing.
One of the toughest days of my life , losing a big part of my family. Just do what’s right cause they deserve your best. Honor their life, their memories. If you find it in yourself, please extend that care and love to another pet. I was hesitant, but every time this little devil dog Yorkie comes running, I’m glad I gave in.

twtabb

Had to put mine down last month. She was old and barely getting around but still enjoyed the attention. Had been talking about when to do it because she seemed to be getting miserable. Her last night she messed on herself and that was our sign. Got her all cleaned up, said our goodbyes and thanked her for being a good dog.
Vet would not let me go in because of this virus and he wouldn’t do it in my truck. I think she knew and was ready.

specialk

Put our little chihuahua down memorial day...13y.o ....we have other dogs and will no doubt rescue more.....its who we are and what we do.....it hard but rewarding......

"Every dog should have a home, and every home should have a dog"

hiawassee1

The test results came back positive on Friday for Blasto. She started to decline rather quickly, the decision was made to put her down yesterday afternoon. Not going to well with family, but we will work thru it.
She absolutely adored the boys, and if it had wheels she wanted to be on it with them.

Attachments

• D1BE32DF-38E2-4F79-824C-42230016BD3D.jpeg
    D1BE32DF-38E2-4F79-824C-42230016BD3D.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 48

nickel back

I do love animals, but we were and are very busy people with our 2 boys, so I felt the dog wouldn't get the attention it needed. I'm not the kind of person to chain a dog up in the yard just to say we have 1.
Well about 2.5 yrs ago they convinced me to get our first family dog. We were able to rescue a 5 month old yellow Lab from a teenager that thought she just had to have 1 of her friends puppies, that was in April 2015. After several months we were able to get him turned around, and he became a good dog. Over the next year he turned into a great family member. He adorded my kids and had to be wherever they were, fishing, swimming at the lake, and wherever we were at night in the house.
Short Version
A couple weeks ago, got what we thought was a leg injury in his joint. Dr put him on steroids, I am on duty at night so this morning I'm awaken by him breathing very heavy, felt something was wrong, so back to the vet. Tucker was diagnosed with blastomycosis, a fungal infection in his lungs, no real cure, just a very expensive treatment, with very low percentage of long term success. Out of know where, my short day made a wrong turn. I had to put my side kick down today only after 2 years, of course he turned into my dog, but the best family dog one could ever want. He had the greatest personality. I already having a hard time imagining pulling in my driveway and him not sitting on the porch waiting for me, or when I stop by at night to eat with the family and he meets me at the window, and he's waiting for me in his crate at 6 in the morning.
But I never thought it would turn out to be this hard to put a dog down. I'm hoping my wife doesn't go into depression, she is having an even harder time with it. It's amazing how much they become involved in your lives. Thanks for letting me vent, not sure I want to try and replace him.

Been there done that, cried like a baby at the vets office as I carried our little one out. I still have 2, a big 95lb black and tan (tank) and a mixed breed that was found at hunting camp when he was a pup ( Jake) I'm sure when the day comes to put them down I will loose all control of emotions, they are my babies and I will kill for them just as they would for me.

So sorry for your lose.

Twiggbuster

Sorry for y’all’s loss. It was difficult when I had to put my beagle Maddie to sleep a few years ago. I loved that dog and she loved me.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
The test results came back positive on Friday for Blasto. She started to decline rather quickly, the decision was made to put her down yesterday afternoon. Not going to well with family, but we will work thru it.
She absolutely adored the boys, and if it had wheels she wanted to be on it with them.
Wow. Sorry to hear about this again. Is this something that comes from the environment around your house maybe? My dogs are my babies. We’ve lost 3 in the last few years. It’s never easy.

fowlmeat08

Very sorry for your loss. Went through it back in February with my 14 year old lab. Thoughts and prayers for your family.

Lilly001

As I read these post I have my 15 year old Springer Lilly lying next to me on the couch.
I know our time together is numbered, but she is still active.
My wife's 5 year old Jack Russle just succumbed to a genetic disease that wouldn't allow her to digest proteins.
Its a hard time, but what they give you during their short lives makes up for it.
My thoughts and condolences are with all of you.